Can subwoofers damage VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by VinhT, Jun 17, 2004.

1. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I put my 25-31PC+ behind the TV, which sits on a stand. The stand has a few side shelves, where old video tapes are stored. I have removed the VHS tapes for the time being. Can they be damaged (erased or degraded) by the sub? The shelves are 2-3 feet away from the driver. The CRT TV shows no sign of distortion, so I am guessing that the stray magnetic field coming from the sub is pretty weak.

2. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

the sub gives off a magnetic field (which most subs aren't shielded (SVS PC+25-31 being one of them). With the sub giving off this magnetic field it IS possible that it will damage the tapes. I don't know if this is a regular type thing, but as a rule of thumb I've always tried to keep magnetic things away from speakers that aren't shielded.

I doubt it will tend to do anything, but doesn't hurt, better safe than sorry!

3. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

You'll be lucky to keep them on the shelf once the sub gets going. We suffer frequent "landslides" in the middle of action films! [​IMG]

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. But tapes get wiped by alternating magnetic fields and not by permanent magnets. Perhaps the TV will do more harm than the sub? I never thought about that before. Perhaps I'd better move our Video collection from under the TV?

ChrisBee

4. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

considering that 99 billion vcr's are sitting on top of TVs, i doubt theres a problem there. i dont believe a magnet will completly erase a tape, but it will make it look horible. video tape stores its information magnetically, so any introduction to another magenet is going to move data around.

Johnny