Can subwoofer stay ON ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HerbT, Dec 10, 2002.

1. HerbT

HerbT Auditioning

No problem here, just a question. Last Christmas my father-in-law gave me a nice subwoofer 18"x18"x18" which sounds terrific. I run my left and right to it, it uses the deep bass, according to a dial setting, and returns the rest of the sound to my receiver. I guess it has a pre-amp or something. It has an on/off switch on the back which I've left ON forever. There have been no problems, and I've always thought it was passive in nature, so no harm while the rest of the stereo is off. Surely, nobody reaches behind their subwoofer to turn it on/off every day. It occured to me lately, I sure hope there's no harm because it would be tragic if this subwoofer stopped working. Any ideas?

2. Michael Preyer

Could you get the brand and model from the ID plate and post it here? That would help us research it for you.

Thanks!
    Michael

P.S. - Chances are that leaving it on is just fine. But I'd still like to look it up specifically.

3. HerbT

HerbT Auditioning

Thanks Michael. I'll check on that tonight and post Thursday.

4. HerbT

HerbT Auditioning

Sorry for the delay, been busy. According to data plate on back, the subwoofer is a Jensen JS1000. Thanks for any info.

5. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I have a PB12, and I leave it on. I think its a generally good idea to leave it turned on, except that (obviously) it should probably be unplugged when a storm moves through. Other than that, I don't think there's any harm in leaving yours on.

I'm not sure about model specifics, though, so hopefully a few others will chime in here.