What's new

Can 'Spy Kids 3D' work on DVD? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't turning off progressive mode have taken care of the problem?
At the time, I didn't think of that. I'm not even sure I know how to. My DVD player isn't progressive, but I've read that by using the Component outs into my tv, the Mits. will emulate a progressive signal.

So I wouldn't know how to change it - although, the glasses only work with the composite signal, so I couldn't use the progressive outs. So maybe there is something more with the RPTV than just an interlaced image?

Ouch, my head hurts :D That's why I finally gave up and moved to my old tv.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'm not even sure I know how to. My DVD player isn't progressive, but I've read that by using the Component outs into my tv, the Mits. will emulate a progressive signal.
I have a Mitsu as well. Assuming that yours has the same guts that mine does, it will go into progressive scan mode only if it detects a progressive signal. Otherwise, will stay in 480i mode even over a component connection.

Well ... that's the way that mine behaves. :)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear I won't have to endure the embarasment of asking for a ticket at the cinema. I'll just say I'm renting the DVD for my kid brother or something.:D

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
On one of thos fluff entertainment news shows they mentioned that the DVD would have both the 2D and 3D versions.

-Dave

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I thought this piece of news would be of interest to the 3-D fans who keep an eye on these threads (myself included):

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m.../29/12.00.film

My hope is that this will provide a further motivation (atop customer encouragement) for the major studios to follow IMAX's lead and finally support field sequential 3-D on DVD (though what 3-D system this remake will use is not specified -- I hope they at least issue polarized prints).

P.S. Mark (per your earlier post of a few months ago), from reports here and on other threads, it appears you can use the simultaneously active video outs on most DVD players to get around the composite limitation of Slingshot's synch box. Hook up a composite chord to the box, but keep your S-VHS, component, or DVI cables hooked up between the player and your actual display device. The box gets the signal it needs to synch the glasses, but you're only watching the superior signal from your player (don't connect the synch box to your television, in other words, only to your player). :emoji_thumbsup: I don't own the system, so can't test the theory myself just yet (I'll buy it in a heartbeat if studios issue any field sequential feature films to disc), and in fact I've never tried connecting two video signals simultaneously (I believe this is supported on most major DVD player brands; check your user manual to be certain), but as explained by others here this does seem to make sense, and sounds like a great work-around. Whether your player and display can be made to reproduce an interlaced (two field) image, or otherwise made to work with the system, is another matter, described by others here and on the Slingshot field sequential 3-D viewing system thread ...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=70448

... in much greater detail than I could hope to recap.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I loved this movie. I love all 3. Since the box set of the films is supposed to feature new special edition of at least the first one, i wouldn't be surprised if they went on ahead and made this one a two discer with the flat version so they won't have to go back and make one for the box set to please the angry people who wanted the flat version. I can ramble real well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was hoping this thread would resurface.

Without having to rescan through all these posts,
can someone simply answer me this...

Will Spy Kids 3D work on a RPTV?

Will it work in Progressive mode or not?

I'm curious, so I'll buy it. If it is not
supposed to work on a RPTV, I'll save my money.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Spy Kids: 3-D is red/blue anaglyph, I believe, which means it should be compatible with any display device (calibration may be an issue, getting the reds and blue equatable with the glasses; I'm not sure about that).

You'll find many posts here and on the other thread I linked a few posts ago concerning field sequential 3-D, Ron, which is a superior form of 3-D, but a type where various displays may have some trouble (to my understanding it requires two separate video fields, i.e. interlaced signals, to function properly, but many folks have posted interesting experiences with and possible workarounds for varying display types).

You'll also find a link to a remake of House of Wax in my earlier post here, though no word yet on what sort of 3-D system it will employ.

I'd go through the list of issues with and the importance of studio support for field sequential 3-D, but I've just typed it up in two different forms, here and in the Feedback Forum (under an existing WB thread)! I have to get some shut eye. :) Heh. But in short, regarding Spy Kids: 3-D, so far as I've heard, it's anaglyphic and thus widely compatible. Front projection, rear projection, CRT, LCD, DLP ... it shouldn't make any difference, because the 3-D effect relies on the interplay or offset of two colors (red and blue), not the means by which the image is reproduced. If I have that wrong (it's gathered knowledge from around here and my own limited experience with anaglyph viewing, which I should say has only been with direct view CRTs), I of course welcome correction. Otherwise -- I hope that was of help, Ron. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Williams

Second Unit
This may be a little off topic but will 3D movies that use the glasses with two different colored lenses work for color blind people? I took my grandson to see Spy Kids 3D and with the glasses on I could not really see any 3D effects, without them the picture just looked terrible.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Jim: probably not. Your eyes need to distinguish between green/blue and red for the anaglyph to work.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i watched the 3d sequence on FREDDY'S DEAD the other night....boy was a disappointed. Most of it was a blurry mess without color definition...some of the shots had good depth but most were barely 3d.

would better glasses help this or is it that just the way it looks?

PS - wacthing on a 16:9 tube in progressive scan.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
This may be a little off topic but will 3D movies that use the glasses with two different colored lenses work for color blind people? I took my grandson to see Spy Kids 3D and with the glasses on I could not really see any 3D effects, without them the picture just looked terrible.
Red/blue 3D should work even for color-blind people. It works because the red filter hides most of the red-tinted image, and the blue filter hides most of the blue-tinted image, even if your eyes can't see the difference between red and blue.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I think Joe is correct.

SPY KIDS 3-D was *presented* in red/blue anaglyph in theatres for logistical reasons, but it was shot in such a way that it could easily be shown in polarized 3-D, IMAX 3-D, or on DVD in field sequential. All of these would be vastly superior to the anaglyph version. Maybe someday we'll get to see it.

However, the announced DVD will only include the anaglyph version and some glasses, and will work on any TV and in progressive mode. The glasses they handed out for theatrical release will work with the DVD in this case.

By all accounts an all flat version will be on the disc as well.

I don't think we'll be seeing any additional major feature films use the poor anaglyph format. It is awful, and they can't get away with it again.

The upcoming Cameron 3-D feature, Dimension's proposed 3-D zombie film and the possible 3-D HOUSE OF WAX remake will all be polarized (with possible IMAX 3-D release as well). Cameron is trying to get 1000 screens ready, and a couple of major theatre chains are cooperating. We'll see what happens.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks