What's new

Can 'Spy Kids 3D' work on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I'm a fan of 3D films and as much as it pangs me to go see this film (not a big fan of the first two) I've heard good things about the 3D effects. But when this comes to DVD next year can we expect it to be in 3D or will it just drop the 'D' from the title?

Eric F

Screenwriter
It can and it will.

I'm hoping they offer a "no-3D" option, because, frankly, the analglyph glasses give me a headache.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
It may work, but images will be quite dark. A no 3D option would mean a separate version of the film.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I'm hoping it's in 3D. I don't understand why some titles are being stripped of 3D like House of Wax (still a wonderful release despite) upon their dvd release. I heard somewhere that 3D could not be done on dvd....but I'm assuming that is just not true. Especially since my Freddy's Dead DVD includes a 3D segment that though I find overly cheesy and dumb....is still 3D. Anyone know what it is used to get this 3D on dvd?

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Since the 3D effects for the theatrical release was created using the red/blue "Anaglyph" format, my guess is that it will be provided in 3D, (with perhaps a 2D version available as an extra).

The anaglyph format of 3D presentation is the only one that will easily convert over for viewing on DVD, and will be visible on the greatest variety of displays.

Other methods of 3D effects;

"Pulfrich" method using one darkened lens (invented by a man with only one good eye by the way) works works with motion so the camera must always be in movement around the subject. The Judds had a 3D music video created with this process... very cool effects, but one tends to get nauseous after too long viewing a spinning video. I have a "Wet & Wild 3D" DVD and the "effects" really "pop-out" at ya! ;)

"Polarized glasses" as used with "Amityville 3-D", Friday the 13th part 3-D" and the terrible "Jaws 3-D" cannot be projected from a CRT.

"LCD" (a.k.a. IMAX "shutter-glasses") glasses require that the display be interlaced in order to correctly synchronize with the LCD lenses for accurate reproduction. Most HD and HD ready televisions have built in line doublers so interlacing the signal cannot be done due to hardware limitation.

Anaglyph, while far from perfect, can be easily and inexpensively ported over to DVD. It is viewable on all types of televisions with simple inexpensive glasses. If done well (which with recent technological developments thanks to James Cameron I am sure this will be as good as is currently possible), the movie will come off as well as the theatrical release. If done poorly, it will look like the crappy conversion to DVD done on "Comin At Ya!".

I say that "perhaps" they will include a 2D version on the DVD, but what I really mean is that "I hope" that they do. 3D is not for everyone. I am also a fan of 3D (see my anaglyph photos on Link Removed), but it is nice to have the option of watching the movie "flat", even if for only the purpose of comparison.

I believe that "Freddy's Dead" was done with the anaglyph process, but I have never seen the movie.

Eric F

Screenwriter
While the 3D anaglyph effect might be cool (mostly lost on me) the first time, after the 3rd or 4th viewing even the kids won't want to bother with the glasses anymore. They're certain to get lost or destroyed too.

Too bad they didn't do an Imax shutter-glasses version. Now that would have been cool.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Ok, I'm real interested in this 3D stuff, but I know squat about it... Can anyone point to a good internet site that explains the different 3D processes used for movies?
Thanx in advance.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Anyone know what process they use for the T2-3D attraction at Universal Studios?
T2-3D was still under construction when I was last down there, but if it is anything like the other 3D shows that I took in while in Orlando that year (Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Muppets 3D), it would probably be using the "Polarized" glasses.

This method of 3D provides perfect stereo effect (albeit a bit darker) and yet retains somewhat accurate color (the red/blue (ore read/green) anaglyph distorts colors).

By using the polarized glasses, hardware and maintenance costs are minimized. The glasses look like over-sized sunglasses (over-sized to fit those wearing prescription glasses), but require no electronics, so they are far smaller and lighter than the LCD "Shutter Glasses" in that you may find in most IMAX 3D theaters. One lens is polarized to allow a particular light wave through, the other lens is polarized in the exact opposite direction. Corresponding filters on the projection system (which is projecting two images) work in the same way as the anaglyph method to filter images directing them to one eye or the other. If you ever have the opportunity to check out a 3D presentation using the polarized glasses, take two pair of glasses and try looking through the right lens of one and then hold the left lens of the other over the right lens that you are looking through. Kind of cool!

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I thought the movie was horrible (it was very blurry). Watching the movie with the glasses on was not much better than having them off !!:thumbsdown:

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
"Polarized glasses" as used with "Amityville 3-D", Friday the 13th part 3-D" and the terrible "Jaws 3-D" cannot be projected from a CRT.
Time to get detailed here. Why not? I've been wondering about this for a while. What do polarized projection lenses do that prevent proper replication on a CRT?

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
To Me, polarized projection is the only 3D method that works.

I took the kids the see SK3 at the cinema and found 1 3 second segment in the whole film that worked (where they are snowboaring down the lava).

After seeing the polarized projection in movie studios in Orlando & LA, I was hoping to see SK3 that way but when it wasn't, I dreaded the worst and discovered I was right with the whole film looking crap.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think you are all being entirely too hard on the red/blue process as used in SK:3D. I work at a megaplex and spend a fair number of shifts in projection. I was very impressed with the effects produced by this simple but effective system. I realise that anaglyph 3D does cause some people eye strain (something acknowledged numerous times in the film itself), but in order to reach its audience, anaglyph was the most practical route (more screens, no need for theatre conversion,less expensive admission). I too, would like to see a non 3D version included as an alternate on the DVD, but also know that such a version would do damage to the narrative structure of the film. What I would like to see is a 3D calibration mode included on the disc to allow proper cancellation of the red and blue elements; this would go a long way to reducing eye strain and ensuring that the audience gets the most accurate 3D experience possible.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I read somewhere that the red/blue type of 3D film could be done on DVD, but that the effect wouldn't work if one used progressive scan. Is this true?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I read somewhere that the red/blue type of 3D film could be done on DVD, but that the effect wouldn't work if one used progressive scan. Is this true?
I'm pretty sure that that refers specifically to field-sequential 3D, not red/blue. The red/blue effect is not based on alternating frames whereas field sequential is completely dependent on alternating frames which is what progressive scan "disables".

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I could definitely see a two disc happening, it might be interesting to watch the 2D version anyway...what am I saying, the only reason why I wanted to see it was because of the 3D:D .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks