1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can special packaging ruin certain Discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deane Johnson, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I recently got two DVDs that had special packaging, Total Recall and Basic Instinct(ice pick version). Both come with a piece of foam for the disc to rest on.
    Since foam breaks down chemically over time, some types faster than others, is there danger of this stuff becoming gummy and ruining the DVD?
    I should think it would make a lot more sense for the studios to put DVDs in keep cases, inserting sets in a cardboard sleeve, and do away with all of this expensive and fragile packaging. I'd rather see them spend the money on the transfer quality.
    Deane

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'd be concerned. This foam stuff is notoriously unstable. I'm chucking mine and lining the tray with cut-to-fit cotton.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I've already transferred both discs to Amaray cases. You know, the kind AOL keeps sending you through the mail? Just get rid of the AOL disc, use Goo Gone to get rid of the stickers, and voila, free DVD cases!