Can Somone Explain "Judder"?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Pete Little, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Pete Little

Pete Little Auditioning

Since I upgraded my old interlaced DVD player for a progressive scan model, I've noticed that some frames of motion in certain scenes appear to be "skipped over", causing a very slight, but noticable "jump" in the action. Is this "Judder" ? And would switching back to interlaced and letting my set handle the 3:2 conversion clear it up?

2. John S

John S Producer

Well, I'm not sure I can explain Judder, but if your TV offers progressive scan and 3:2 pulldown, it is quite possible you would have to buy a very high end player to get better than what yoru TV will give you.

What DVD players have you used with it?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Secrets of Home Theater commented that unless your player is poor at handling 3:2 pulldown, most players should be better than your TVs. On the other side of that though, they also noted that the best rating ever given for progressive was built into a Pioneer Elite RPTV, and they could not understand why Pioneer did not use this in any of their DVD players.

What gear are we talking about?

Never heard of "judder", but maybe jitter?

4. Pete Little

Pete Little Auditioning

It's a NAD T562 hooked up via component to my new Samsung 50 inch DLP set. It's a fairly high-end player. (Or so I thought) My original player was the old Pioneer Elite DVD/LaserDisc combo. It was an interlaced player, also hooked up using component out/in.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The term "judder" means a rapid shaking or conspicuous vibration. In the context of home video, it usually refers to a type of motion artifact that is caused by the conversion from one frame rate (the 24fps of film) to another (the 30fps of video).

The only thing you can do is to try it and see.

M.

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Judder with 480p is noticeable in certain scenes with continuous motion on sources from 24fps film. To provide the effective 24fps with the 60fps of 480p they duplicate one frame 2x and the following frame 3x and then repeat. So the average frame duplication is 2.5x but its not continuous so with certain kinds of motion the 2x,3x operation causing a "judder" motion. What you describe doesn't sound like it though.