Can Someone Tell Me Where I Can Hire A First-Rate "Toothpaste Applier"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Nov 21, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I read today where Prince Charles has 80 servants, seeing to his every whim and fancy. This number includes one individual who claims the ultra-exciting occupation of spreading the toothpaste on Chuck's toothbrush each day! That's all he does: applies toothpaste!
    Wonder what that toothpaste job pays? Certainly deserves a six-figure salary I would think.
    Can you even remotely imagine having a person at your disposal that does nothing but put toothpaste on your brush?! (WHY would you even WANT someone to do this?!)
    80 servants! Geez Louise!!
    (I'm now curious as to what the guy who hovers near the roll of Charmin makes annually. Now THAT job just might be worth six figures! Yikes! [​IMG] )
    Anyway....what are your thoughts on this ridiculous British domestic staff overkill?
    "Crumbley, the car!"

2. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

The footman in question obviously does other things besides apply toothpaste and allegedly rape other staff members.

The toothpaste applicator Charles uses is a device called a mangle. His is sterling and was purchased from Asprey according to Kitty Kelly's book, The Royals.

In fairness a staff of 80 is quite reasonable for a Prince of Wales. He needs office staff, estate managers for his homes and his duchy (the entire county of Cornwall), and an army of people to keep-up Highgrove and the Palace of St. James where he lives. Neither of these residences are remotely modest (it is a palace after all). That probably comes to about 20 or 30 staff per residence. Most of them would be groundskeepers, maids, and footmen. Throw in the nanny, chauffeur, and "handlers" and you really have the bare minimum of staff required for all the duties which must be met. Being royal isn't what it once was though I sure wouldn't mind having the same problems :p) .

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

4. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    btw, it wouldn't be Charmin. It would be Royale.

5. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Mangles are quite efficient. One attaches the device to the end of the toothpaste tube and then rolls upward. This results in all the toothpaste being used. It's one of the oddities of the rich to spend extravagent sums on devices which supposedly save minute amounts of money.

6. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

OK....now I don't want to get into an us Vs. them thing here, but to all those across the pond...doesn't it make you mad that you are all paying for those select people to live like that? That would drive me nuts. I don't care who the hell they are, I would not be giving my money to people who use it to live that extravagantly.

Here in the US, the president only makes 100K, am I correct?

7. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Presidents salary was upgraded by last congress under clinton, Bush gets 1 Million a year, clinton got $200,000
    all Pay increases voted for elected officials in fed gov do not go into effect until the next term.
    in the case of the senate with only 1/3 elected every 2 years, I think it is after each senators next election
    Bush Jr is also the first pres since the secret service started guarding presidents that will not get lifetime protection, his ends 10 years after he leave's office

8. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I think 1 million is a fair salary for being President. Think about it. The worries must be crushing, you're never really on vacation when you're on vacation, your tax return is scrutinized by the public, your entire life is investigated, there are powerful and dangerous enemies looking to take you out of office-- or even kill you, pundits and reporters take down everything you say or do and publish it around the world, you have an enormous staff to manage, the whole country gets to approve your job performance (or not) after four years, AND you are in control of weapons that could destroy the world several times over. You simply cannot screw this up. You must be on the ball 24/7 and the pressure never decreases. The fate of a country rests upon your shoulders.

Compared to what these Mickey Mouse CEOs are running away with in investor money and the relatively simple problems they have to contend with, 1 million is really quite reasonable, even a bargain.

9. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

10. Mike_Mig

Mike_Mig Stunt Coordinator