Can someone tell me whats wrong with my TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_H, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Darren_H

Darren_H Auditioning

I just bought a JVC 32D302 a couple days ago and it seems to work pretty good except for one thing. Aside from the 1/4" tilt(Can't any companies get this right?), I'm getting these vertical, solid, black bars on the left and right sides of the screen that are anywhere from 1/4" to 1" in width. Up close, it looks more like the picture just isn't filling the screen all the way. Also, they only appear when I'm playing video games. DVD and VHS look normal. I hooked up 3 different systems and got the bars with every one. This really wouldn't be too annoying if the bars were not constantly getting wider and thinner and bending into the picture. I really hope this is just a defect in my set cause I really like this TV and would hate to have to go search for another one. Anyone know what might be causing this?
    Darren_H

2. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

When I use my Playstation I tend to see strange framing inconsistancies from time to time. Though I haven't actually seen them bending into the play area yet. They're always static the whole time.
    Alot of games have a screen calibration menu - try tweaking with that and you might be able to get rid of those black strips.
    Other than that - if your game systems are being plugged into the set differently than your VCR and DVD player, try hooking one of the latter up to the same input with the same kind of connector. Or you can try it vice versa - if you're hooking up the game via composite cable, try to get an S-video cable and give that a go.
    If none of that helps, then your TV might simply hate videogames! [​IMG] Good luck!
    ------------------
    "Negative. I am a meat popsicle."
    [Edited last by Sam Hatch on August 10, 2001 at 07:30 AM]

3. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

How much overscan do you have setup on your set? Have you calibrated it w/ VE or AVIA? If it has very little overscan (3%-5%), then video games will most likely not fill up the entire screen. There is nothing wrong with your set. For some reason, video games (at least N64 and Dreamcast for me) do not occupy the entire screen. Game programmers seem to assume that everyone has at least 10% overscan, and thus does not put any picture beyond this area. I had this problem on my old 36" Toshiba Cinema Series, and it also exists on my 65H80.
    Like Sam said, some games will let you adjust the image. Rest assured, your TV is fine.
    -Brett
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    My DVD's

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Darren,
    I've run into the same thing with 3D-O, PS-1, Dreamcast, and PS-2 on maybe 3 or 4 different tvs. Not all games do it, but those that do exhibit the problem on every tv I've connected the console to.
    It's not a problem with your tv, but the authoring of the game software.
    You can sometimes minimize the bending if you turn down the contrast and brightness a bit.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

5. Rick Julian

Rick Julian Auditioning

Take the set back and get a another one. Do not accept the set in that condition.
    Not worth the aggravation. You should not have a problem since the problem was found out of the box.
    Rick Julian
    ------------------

6. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

Before you take the big heavy tv back, why don't you take your game to the store & see how it plays on other tv sets.

7. Darren_H

Darren_H Auditioning

Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll be making a trip to Circuit City this weekend.
    BTW, someone mentioned overscan in one of the replies. What is it? How can I check how much my TV has? I'm still pretty new to all this.
    Darren_H