What's new

Can someone tell me how to identify the "corrected" DTS version of Jurassic Park? (1 Viewer)

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
After 10 days of waiting, I finally recieved the corrected version of JP dts version. I didn't have a chance to watch it yet. I just watch the first five minutes of it... And the very first openning of the movie when the drum beats... it shaked my living room... I was watching it 15db below RL... For only 5 minutes, this disc impressed me...Will see how my sub justify the T-Rex scene tomorrow :D I will watch the whole movie tomorrow w/ a louder volume ;) Thanks all for the info... It worth the wait and my 60 cents of stamp...

Alex,

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I have the original DVD realease of JP (the one that came with JP2 in a box.) Should I upgrade my JP to the JP-DTS? Is it an immense difference? Just wondering if I need to double dip. Thanks.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I cant answer that for you...but I will say there is a VERY noticable difference. LFE is almost non-existant on the original DTS track. The second version is very intense. You will notice the very second the movie starts in the opening dinosaur/cage sequence. I was very glad I upgraded.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think he is asking if he should upgrade from the Dolby Digital version to the DTS, not replacing the defective DTS version.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I think he is asking if he should upgrade from the Dolby Digital version to the DTS, not replacing the defective DTS version.
Correct. I have this version:

I'm not concerned with Lost World, because while I like to have it as part of the collection I really didn't like the film too much.

Rick Salt

Grip
I think the difference is pretty big. I double dipped and think the dts version is one of the best sounding dvd's i own. The dolby one sounds ok but if you liked the movie and you can get it fairly cheap i would say go for it

KyleC

Supporting Actor
The only place so far I've found it is on Amazon for 17.38+ shipping. Is that a decent price?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Kyle,

Just be aware as mentioned before that there was a defective batch of JP DTS out there. I got a bad copy as recent as last summer, which was 3 years after the release.

There are numerous threads in HTF's history about it, but in a nutshell, the only way to really tell is if the code on the inner ring of the DVD itself has a "D2R2". D2R1 and D2R0 were both bad pressings. There's still an exchange program in place though if you do get a bad one.

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
I sent my D2R1 version in, and got it back in 7 business days... I got it like couple weeks ago. I can tell you this that the LFE is amazing... Totally worth my $.60 of stamp :D

JP DTS version (D2R2) :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Does the 4 Disk box set for Jurassic Park have the updated DTS version in it, or does it have the original DD version? I know I can't guarantee a working JP DTS, but I want to make sure I at least get it (if i have to trade it in, no big deal, but I dont want to get the set and be stuck with a DD version). Thanks

Mike

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does the 4 Disk box set for Jurassic Park have the updated DTS version in it, or does it have the original DD version?
I'm pretty sure the boxed set comes only in a DD flavor - I don't think there's a DTS version, though JP3 offers both DTS and DD on the same disc...

greg_t

Screenwriter
The box set only has the DD versions of Jurassic Park I and Lost World. Jurassic Park 3 has both DD and DTS.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I've never ordered from there, how are they?
Pretty good. I've never had a problem with the. The only thing is that if you take the free shipping option, it sometimes takes a little while to get to you. But, they have other delivery options for a few bucks more. They have a customer service line, so you could probably call and make sure you are getting the correct DTS version. Someone would have to open the package to make sure, but it beats the possibility of having to go through a return.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Universal did make a packaging change some time ago to differentiate between the two DTS pressings. All of the errored pressing have a black technical grid on the back. They later changed the packing on the corrected versions to have a red technical grid. So if you have a red technical grid on the back, it is the corrected pressing. However, There are also some corrected pressings that have the black technical grid, and with those you have to check the dvd itself to differentiate between the corrected and errored pressings.

I would suggest just getting the DTS version from a brick and mortar retailer yourself so you can make sure you're getting the corrected pressing because the defective ones are still out there.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I checked the Best Buy near me, and they don't have any DTS versions. I'll have to check some other places.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I never got around to sending in my bad DTS copy for the new one. Is the replacement program still going on??

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Consumers who have purchased the "D2R1" discs will have the option of making an exchange. Please send in the disc only (without packaging), along with name, address and telephone number, to: Universal Studios Home Video, PO Box 224468, Dallas TX 75260 or Universal Studios Home Video, 8801 Autobahn Drive, Dallas, TX 75237.

Please note: This offer for exchange applies only to the DTS version of Jurassic Park.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks