1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone tell me how to identify the "corrected" DTS version of Jurassic Park?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Daniel Becker, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

If you have a problem with a Universal product, take it up with them. Don't just pass the problem on to an unsuspecting third party. Didn't we all learn the Golden Rule in Kindergarten?

This has been a well-known problem for a number of years. Identical threads pop up on a near monthly basis. The outrage has long since died as Universal has acknowledged the problem and replaced the discs upon request.

As I noted, many stores will do same title exchanges without a receipt, especially if it's a defective title. Why you would want to bother with the hassle of an Ebay auction when you can make a 5-minute exchange at the local store is beyond me.

2. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

Because the store I bought it from doesn't have the corrected version for sale and I want the DTS version.

I just find it funny that you would make warn me to not sell a "defective product". I'm taking the same stance that Universal seems to get away with on a daily basis. If the consumer doesn't realize anything is wrong then why should I worry about it? Thats Universals policy and i'm just adopted the same one. How can you fault a guy for that? If your going to hold me accountable you certainly should be holding a massive corporation accountable first as they have large resources and ways of fixing problems quickly. They should have done a full scale recall of the DTS disks as well as Back to the Future trilogy. Why don't you say something about that instead of making me the consumer out to be the bad guy? Universal is the one who made the mistake and since has refused to publically admit it by recalling all products and fixing them ALL.

Dan.B

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Adam Moreau
    Does anyone know whether or not Columbia House is issuing good DTS JP's or faulty ones?

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

There is no way of knowing. The faulty pressings are still out there. I saw one Saturday at my local best buy. With this title, it is best to go somewhere where you can see what you are buying, and look for one with the red tech grid.

5. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm

As mentioned repeatedly, this is OLD NEWS. HTF has been round-and-round, over and over again on the JP DTS issue. It was probably the original HTF uproar that caused Universal to implement a replacement program. You're just the latest victim. I got a defective copy when I first bought it. I exchanged it. End of story.

I don't deny it's Universal's fault, but they have provided the means for fixing the problem. You just seem to be determined not to use the options available to get a new disc.

What happens if you sell it to someone who is aware of the problem? Will you refund their money if they ask? And even if they don't realize it's defective, you end up with no disc. And if you then turn around and buy another, you might end up with ANOTHER defective copy.

But if you exchange it you will soon be watching JP in its corrected DTS glory! [​IMG]

7. Daniel Becker

Well, if it makes anyone happy (which has nothing to do with why I did it) I went back to the store last night since I found my reciept and exchanged the darn thing for the Dolby Digital version. Now I get the lesser quality product because Universal has continued to leave faulty product on shelves. I still find that so obnoxious and amazing but whats a guy to do? I'm the measly consumer and they're the big rich corporation?

Meanwhile I continue to wait to recieve my Back to the Future envelopes which i've now placed 2 phone calls regarding them. By the time I get these replacement disks I have a feeling i'll have owned the damn set for 9 months! I don't even know if I ever want to buy a Universal product again. Un-freaking-believable! [​IMG]

One last note about my "new" Jurassic Park dolby digital disk. I popped it in last night to just get a quick taste of what the correct bass level should be. I may be wrong here but it seemed sadly weak even on the Dolby Digital version. It seemed to be about the same level as the DTS version. Does anyone know how this disk is suppose to sound in DD? It sure doesn't seem that strong to me. [​IMG]

Dan.B

8. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

9. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Dan,
    You're noticing another big controversy from a few years back: which version of JP is more 'accurate' to the theatrical track. While the original DTS disc was very anemic, bass wise, the DD wasn't all that much better. When the repressed DTS came out, DTS listeners were ecstatic, but DD listeners claimed the track was unfairly 'pumped up' and overcooked. So, to make a long story short, yes, the DD sounds correct. I've done the comparrison between the DD and the new DTS, and it is a very discernable difference. The DD is much closer to the old DTS, bass wise, than the new disc.

BTW, when comparing the LFE response in this movie to JPIII, it help to remember that JP is ten years old. Back when the 5.1 format came out, the LFE was not used as much as it is today. Movies had bass, but little of it was as loud or subharmonic as more recent films. Star Wars: the Phantom Menace was the trend setter as far as the use of really deep bass goes. JPIII is a newer movie, and reflects that current 'boom boom' mentality. JP is a very good soundtrack, but it is old, so don't expect even the repressed DTS disc to sound like The Haunting. It brings a twinge of nostalgia for the days were bass wasn't as overpowering as it is today.

10. Daniel Becker

Well, thanks for the explanation Jon. I've only been a regular on these boards for about 9 months now so I missed most of this Jurassic Park debate.

After reading your explanation though i'm not sure where I stand on the whole DD Vs. DTS Jurassic Park debate. I get the feeling the DTS version may be more of what the producers really wanted or they wouldn't have made it the way they did. Didn't the laserdisc version feature some heavy low end and that is why people complained about the DTS version upon it's release? It makes me wonder if the DD version is also "wrong" and Universal just didn't feel like admitting that alll Jurassic Parks were screwed up and rather just admitted the DTS version had problems. I'd love some other people's opinions on this debate. I have a feeling that Dolby Digital track was just as "incorrect" as the DTS version. At least based upon what I heard last night. It just wasn't that strong at all.

Dan.B

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm

Jon just explained exactly why that is. Booming bass is mostly a characteristic of modern soundtracks. In 1993, LFE use was in its infancy.

12. Daniel Becker

Well, I guess i'm just confused then. I've found 3 online reviews for the Jurassic Park Dolby Digital DVD and all of them have mentioned the "booming bass" and "this is the new demo disc". Those quotes are less than 2 years old. I don't know who to believe. I just feel like what I heard last night from that Dolby Digital track was quite weak.

I understand what your saying about the movie being 10 years old but like I mentioned, several reviews stated the DVD had booming bass when it was released. Is it possible there are multiple versions of the Dolby Digital disks out there? Just a thought. [​IMG]

Dan.B

13. Cliff Olson

14. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

How about this one for you guys:
    I've got a DTS JP DVD which I'm having trouble classifying according to what I've read here and elsewhere. The disk itself says *neither* D2R1 nor D2R2, and the box on the back has a black boarder, not red. I've looked at the hub carefully many times, and have seen many letters and numbers, but no D2Rx at all. I don't have it with me right now, so I can't say everything that was on there, but I do clearly recall "PEMC" and a lone "22", as well as long strings of letters/numbers which I assume are a product code of some sort.
    Is there anything else I should look for? Is this type of disk known to be in one category or the other?

BTW, has anyone determined what *exactly* is the problem with the D2R1 disks? Is it a total lack of LFE? LFE mixed in with mains? LFE 10dB too low? Completely wrong soundtrack? something else?

Thanks,
    -- Dave

15. Daniel Becker

David,

I can personally tell you that the D2R1 disk does indeed have some LFE. It's just not very strong at all.

Dan.B

16. Cliff Olson

17. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

I just realized I may have not been very clear on what I meant by saying the DD was 'correct'. It was bad grammar on my part. I meant to say that Dan's opinion that the DD disc had fairly low bass was correct, as many other listeners shared the same feeling. I honestly have no idea which version (DD or DTS) is closer to the original theatrical print. I was about thirteen at the time, saw it in a bad theater, and had no idea what surround sound was anyway.

Dan, did these reviews you read state anything about their setups? while we all take calibration seriously here, not everyone does. Combine that with whatever sub they were using and their room dimensions, could easily lead to JP having 'booming bass'.

Dave, if I remember right, it was determined that the original DTS disc had an LFE that was 4 Db lower than the DD. That's a big difference. The problem likely stemmed from the fact that this was one of the first DTS releases where Universal used their own encoders, as opposed to the previous practice of having DTS master the discs themselves. This could've led to all kinds of problems with channel balance. Anybody remember the U-571 fiasco?

Sorry, Dan, we're wandering off topic. Either the red grid or D2R2 on the disc are the two ways to identify the repressing. The redone DTS does have a louder LFE, but the bass is still nowhere near what appears today.

P.S. Cliff, as far as hating subwoofers: The Haunting DTS RULES![​IMG]

18. Cliff Olson

Thanks for claifying, Jon. You had me wondering [​IMG]

19. Cliff Olson

U571 is flawless, IMO.

20. Daniel Becker

Thanks for further explanation. What is this about U571? [​IMG] I bought the DTS version a few weeks ago and have yet to watch it. Don't tell me that one had problems as well. [​IMG]

Dan.B