What's new

Can someone recommend a receiver? (1 Viewer)

JTuttle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
Hi I'm new to this forum, looking for some advice.

I'm looking for an AV receiver, I think. What I really need is just an audio switcher.
Currently my setup involves my computer as my main source of audio and it is output via the audio jack to the audio input jack on my TV.
I also occasionally use other devices to play music or other audio and I plug them into the same audio jack on the back of my TV.
I'm looking for a way to have all the cabling setup and I would only have to switch to another input on this device I'm looking for.
I recently got a new computer that has HDMI output so I could use that for audio/video output to the TV. And also I could then have this device output to the HDMI audio, as long as it keeps the video coming from the PC.

Also I am interested in wireless audio streaming but it's not required.

Can anyone suggest a device that would be able to fulfill this task? I'm not looking to spend more than $100 but I'll take recommendations that are up to $200 as well.

Thanks,
Jonathan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, you're using the TV to play audio, music, for example, even if there is no video with it? You're OK with continuing to do that?

I think you'll have to stay with the regular analog audio outputs rather than hdmi to be able to switch all the devices with one switch.

Something like THIS should do the trick. It also switches video, which you probably wouldn't use. You'll probably need cables that adapt headphone outputs to RCA, but those are easy to find. One thing to keep in mind, I can guarantee this will have a lot of bleed through. Meaning, when you select one input, if something is playing on another input, it will bleed through and be audible. It's only a problem if any source you don't select actually has something playing.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Personally I wouldn't use the tv speakers! I would get a decent receiver and route everything through the receiver and at least get a pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub even if you do not go a full 5.1 which I would do.

Luke Cool

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I build computers for any use a customer has, so I know a little about this. I have 4 computers in my house with THX sound on them. Some computer sound systems are seriously nice. One of my computers is connected to my theater system, whereas I use the Receiver's HDMI PC input. This last set up blows the computer sound systems away. This is the best way to go, but cost a lot more than $200. You may find a used theater system that will suit your needs, at a more reasonable cost, but you get what you pay for. There are also HDMI switches like the one here. Or add something like a AVerMedia C727 DarkCrystal HD Capture Card in your computer. It is an HDMI input into your PC. That switch and this card would allow you to do everything through your computer, but is a tad over your budget. For DVI use and video editing, this is a good way to go. For this, you will also need a good PC sound system, it will be much better than onboard TV speakers. BUT, If I just wanted great sound, I'd connect my PC to a theater system and let the receiver manage all of the TV inputs and their sound. There is no cheap great way to do any of this. Again, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks