can someone recommend a dvd player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Albert Noel, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

i just tried watching War of the Worlds on my new JVC 48" HD/RPTV however i found the PQ to be pretty much less than stellar. i think the bad PQ might be my bottom of the line panasonic dvd-s27 player. i'm feeding the tv a progressive signal via component cables.
    i tried a couple of different sets of cables thinking it might be the culprit, but out with similar results for each set used. i get fantastic PQ with HD sources so i would expect a dvd to look good, but no luck. unless it's a bad transfer?

i dont need sacd nor dvd-audio.
    somehting higher quality would be nice though, maybe in the $200 to $250 catagory. if it matters, my set has an HDMI connectoin, so i could always try that to get better PQ.

and in case anyone asks, i calibrated the set using the built in multi-point convergence and my AVIA dvd.

the set is a JVC AV-48P575

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Do all DVDs look bad? How were the video samples on the test disk? Also keep in mind that comparing an HD picture to a DVD isn't apples-to-apples since the HD is considerably higher resolution and your TV is going to show the limitations of any input.

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I don't think you will see any better picture using another low cost 480p player. You might find a subtle improvement with one of the upscaling players such as the Panasonic DVD-S77S or Sony DVP-NS70H or one of many other possibilities connected by HDMI.

Chris

4. Albert Noel

I didnt mean to compair HD to a DVD literally, just stating that i expected more considering how well it displays HD content. i tried War of the Worlds, Sin City and The Incredables. None of them looked as good as i would have expected.
    Natually i assumed it to either the component cables or my low end dvd player.

The dealer i deal with actually reccommended a Samsung upconverting player to use that will fit in my budget. I wouldnt have given a Samsung player any thought, but he claims they work well. He didnt have any to demo, so i didnt get to try one out.

Anyone here familiar with the Samsung DVD-HD950 or DVD-HD850?

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Albert, upconverting 480i DVD's is not going to make them look anywhere close to HD content. You're starting to get HD spoil't like me, maybe? Upconverting DVD is a very, very small improvement, IMO.

6. Albert Noel

perhaps i am a little HD spoiled. i guess i'm not really trying to mimic HD so much as i am just trying to get a better picture.

a new player is just the best way to start, since my current player isn't up to snuff.
    Doesnt have to be an upconverting player, just better overall quality