What's new

Can someone recommend a dvd player that handles the layer change quite well (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit
What dvd players handles layer changes the best? My player that I currently own just doesn't cut it. I'm hoping to find one thats better because this is the only problem with dvd that I have.

Thanks

The Denon 1600 and up all feature a 3MB buffer that does the layer change in less than half a second. These are the only models I know of that have it. Most mass market DVD players take 1.5 to 2.8 seconds to switch.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
My cheap-as-dirt Cyberhome CHDVD500 does the layer change in less than a second. Of course, PQ isn't exactly reference quality, but for $60, it was a steal.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The Krell (according to the shootout), does it in .1 sec. But I assume you don't want to spend that much money.:D

The Denon models are probably your best bet.

How much money are you planning to spend?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The JVC XV-SA600BK is a good single-disc progessive scan player that handles layer changes very quickly. They're hardly noticable. It runs between $180 and $220 depending on where you buy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Most mass market DVD players take 1.5 to 2.8 seconds to switch.
REALLY?! I've owned 3 different players (all Toshiba) and read plenty of comments on this, but never got the impression that many players took more than a second to switch layers. Of course, most comments I've seen are for interlaced players, not progressive ones, and I still haven't owned a progressive one myself.

_Man_

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Denon looks like your best bet then. I believe the 1600 is around that price range and I believe it has the same basic stuff as the higher end models with the .5 sec layer change.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Brent,

Also keep in mind that the smoothness of the layer change also depends on how the disc was authored. I've seen layer changes go rough on the Denon 1600 and smoother on my cheap Cyberhome 500 on some discs, and vice-versa. Genrally speaking though, the transitions tend to be smooth on the 1600. I have a 1600 and couldn't recommend it more. With the Panny RP-82 now pretty much gone and idiots spending ridiculous sums for it on Ebay, this is the next best thing in terms of video quality (they use the same chip and MPEG decoder), and you will get better audio quality for DVD-Audio/CD to boot.

Good luck,

Reg

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
All ive got to say is check out the dvd-rv32k panasonic
"layer changes what stinking layer changes"
Actually they are so smooth and minute that I never notice them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks