Can someone reccomend a great center speaker if money wasn't an issue?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ruiz, Oct 29, 2001.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Hi Guys,
    I've been looking for a good center speaker for my HT, but I don't know which brands to invest in. Cany any one reccomend me a center speaker no matter HOW much it costs? I want one that sounds really clear, and actually has BASS, so that their voices sound more realistic.

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Dont know if you have and or are happy with your current center, assuming happy with overall sound (just lacking lower end) 60hz or so on down?
    If so, you might consinder a sealed powered or unpowered sub crossed to blend properly with it. (Center set to large) ~ Many have tried this with excellent results. Just another option if your current center is fine but lacking the lower hz's! I've done this with a home built 8' 100-watt powered sub and have been very happy with results. Keeps my front sounds stage the same (beause the mids, tweeters & thier crossovers where not touched) and with time for proper adjustments the added sub allowed the male voices especially (and other sound information) to come threw much more accurate. Some will argue, but in the real world it's your ears and you do what makes them happy.
    I belive (AR's-4c 2 ~ 2-5" or 6" six inch drivers & botom fire passive raditor) also B&W #? sorry no # both make centers that drop pretty low, though they are much larger than normal sized centers. There are many many other contenders on the market, just woke up and still a little foggy.
    You might try (HT's hardware section) for a larger amount of input on selections and results of in use large centers to look at and demo, with many in actual use in theaters. Might allow for a better idea of what to expect going bigger deeper & large.
    The idea of the sub on the center was just thought of one day sitting aroung playing with my system and I tried it, and it's stayed sence... Very pleased. I run dual centers with one 8"~ 100-watt powered sealed sub, crossed around 80hz or so (sits directly beside RPTV), plenty of jucie to keep up. Made an amazeing difference, male voices being the one thing that allways stands out.
    Regards
    Geoff
    [Edited last by Geoff L on October 29, 2001 at 07:07 AM]

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

You might want to check out ACI's new dedicated center. It's a three way using a 5.25" driver and silk dome tweeter which are flanked by dual 6.5" drivers. The 6.5's are powered and have a 2 channel parametric EQ. They are currently taking pre-orders right now (I believe initial pricing is starting at $1K, but don't quote me!) with shipping starting sometime in Jan '02.
    If You want to check them out here's a link:
    http://www.audioc.com/speakers/prelim.htm
    For more info you can go to www.smr-forums.com and look in the dedicated ACI forum.
    Brian

4. Bob Ahlberg

Bob Ahlberg Agent

If you want bass, you might look at some of the Definitive Technology centers. Several of them have powered subwoofers built into the cabinets. You might also want to check out www.legacyaudio.com some of their higher priced units have excellent bass response.
    Bob

5. John LaB

John LaB Agent

I went with the B&W LCR6, which I am very happy with. It is a 2 1/2 way, and sounds great. Gunshots, voices... Subtle when it has to be, and loud as I can take it.
    I'm very happy with mine.
    www.bwspeakers.com
    -jpl

6. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

How about a Paradigm Reference Active CC.
    +/- 1dB from 42hz to 22khz on axis
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

8. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If money wasn't an issue I'd have three IDENTICAL speakers across the front. No center channel speaker for me. They are usually compromised speakers.
    Of course, in some instances that would mean an acoustically transparent front projection screen would be required.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Yes! I'm using three identical shielded bookshelf speakers and have never hard a more uniform soundfield from any system at any price that used a "center channel."
    Brian

11. Peter Mansell

How 'bout Thiel MCS1 ?
    ------------------
    Peter M
    I calibrate, therefore I am

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

13. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Aerial now sells the CC-5 which is capable of more output (vs. the CC3).
    Greg

14. SteveValenti

SteveValenti Auditioning

i see you already got a speaker, but my center is a klipsch c-7 w/2 8"woofers, good to about 65 Hz. def tech also, as previously noted, makes centers w/pwrd sub built-in, and three identical full-range speakers across the front (or all 5-ch's) is a great choice-if you can arrange them.

15. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

SteveValenti is on the right track, I'd use an older Klipsch Academy though. If you REALLY wanna impress your friends with ear bleadin sound, try and find an older Klipsch Heritage series speaker package, such as the La Scala's, or the Klipschorns. Thye will blow your mind with 20 watts of pure power.

16. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

Tanoy has a center with 3 8" drivers. this unit is UNREAL!!!!!

17. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

your CC should compliment, if not match your mains. good mains can get expensive. course you wouldnt power a mega buck set of speakers with a reciever or other lesser amp, right? do i even need to mention cables and interconnects?

is money still not an object?

18. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Rich is right. Timbre (sp?) matching your front speakers with your center (as well as the surrounds) is very important when it comes to getting the best sound out of your system. You will notice an non-timbre matched front and center will sound different when a car is zooming across the sound stage.

19. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

I am rather partial to the Martin Logan Cinema[​IMG]

20. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

As others have mentioned, the best solution is to choose a center speaker which is identical to your left and right speakers. That way you get a seamless soundstage. And if it's bass you want, make sure you have a good Subwoofer (or two) to fill in the lowest frequencies.

And if you find it hard to match your current speakers then get three new speakers (you did say money was not an object, right?). There are many very good choices (lots of them were mentioned here already) so you can go whichever way you prefer. I, myself, use M&K speakers but there are lots of good ones available.