What's new

Can someone point in direction of a list of Christmas Dvds? (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The 1999 (or was it 2000? I forget) version of A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge is also great viewing. Now if you really want to hear something enjoyable, find the audio version Stewart recorded in the early 90's based on his acclaimed one-man Broadway performance. That one will really immerse you into the story.

As for an off-beat version of that same story, the Hallmark Channel is doing its own contemporary remake called A Carol Christmas airing Sunday, December 7 with Tori Spelling, Gary Coleman, and William Shatner. (Still scratching my head on this one trying to figure it out...)

For the kids, there are two great Christmas-themed videos in the Veggie Tales series, The Toy That Saved Christmas and The Star of Christmas. Picking up my copies today! :)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Rankin-Bass productions did not use Claymation. They used stop-motion puppets.

I second the recommendation for the Albert Finney SCROOGE. Also, any of the Rankin-Bass ouvre are great fun. Even the lesser ones. A CHRISTMAS STORY is a no-brainer, as is IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

John Gido

Second Unit
I wish they would release one of my favorite Xmas specials on DVD. HBO ran Rich Little's 'A Christmas Carol' back in the 80's. It featured Rich playing all of the characters using some of his best impressions (W.W Fields as Scrooge, Paul Lynde as Bob Cratchett, Edith Bunker as his wife, etc.) I cannot watch my VHS copy anymore as it is worn out.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Everybody has this pretty well covered, but I will add a couple that are loosely connected to the holidays:

Trading Places (runs through christmas and new years)
About Last Night (thanksgiving, christmas and new years)

also:
Emmet Otter's jug band christmas
Robbie the Riendeer

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

My list of essential Christmas viewing:

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (Rankin-Bass)
Frosty the Snowman (Rankin-Bass)
The Little Drummer Boy (Rankin-Bass)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (MGM)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life (Liberty)
Mickey's Christmas Carol (Disney)
Miracle on 34th Street
White Christmas (Paramount)

Required Listening:
Beach Boys' Christmas Album (Capitol)
Phil Spector: A Christmas Gift For You (Phlles / ABKCO)
Johnny Mathis: Merry Christmas (Columbia)
Frank Sinatra: Jolly Christmas (Capitol)
Elvis Presley Chistmas Album (RCA)
Any of the Collectables' Various Artist "Ultimate Christmas Album Vols 1-6" (Collectibles)
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons Christmas Album (Vee Jay / Rhino)

Joyeux Noel,

Paul Bigelow

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks