Can someone point in direction of a list of Christmas Dvds?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by florence franks, Nov 20, 2003.

1. florence franks

florence franks Stunt Coordinator

I'm having a heck of time trying to find them/remember them with my online rental service. Anyone have link or so that tells me christmas themed dvds available?

thanks

2. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Look up a Christmas-themed film at Amazon and there will be links to user-created lists on the right. Of course if this thread takes off you will have a very nice list in short order.

3. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Or do a search on DVDPRICESEARCH.COM.

N

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I mention my personal list in my review of Santa Clause 2 (a Christmas-themed movie):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=169671

5. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    The 1951 A CHRISTMAS CAROL with Alistair Sim is a gem, almost inarguably the best version of the story put to film. The DVD is pretty decent. NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION, now in widescreen, is not only very funny but is also somehow quite poignant - it captures - even if in a highly comical and exaggerated way - some of the seminal moments from our Christmases past rather spot-on. HOLIDAY INN, although technically covering numerous holidays, still has a delightful winter atmosphere through a lot of its running time. The DVD is paired with GOING MY WAY, another Bing Crosby film. SCROOGED has its moments, most of them courtesy of the hilarious Carol Kane. PRANCER is a semi-depressing "children's film" that has some decent material and a good Sam Elliot performance. ONE MAGIC CHRISTMAS is also a bit downbeat, but Mary Steenburgen is terrific as usual and the movie has a palpable if somber mood to it. Just a few you might want to check out.

6. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Found a list at some place I've never heard of called DigitalHit.

7. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

8. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

There is the the de rigueur "Miracle on 34th Street," of course, which exists in three versions. And call me crazy (you would not be the first) but I just love "Jingle All the Way," with Arnold whats-his-name and the late (and greatly lammented) Phil Hartman (among others). This is totally corny and predictable, but I think it's a hoot. If you are not familiar with the film, it concerns the Xmas eve adventures of a rich, but some what neglectful, husband and father who is attempting to find and buy the one toy his son really, really wants in a town where it is completely sold out. Of course, he was supposed to have bought the toy weeks before, but he forgot. Now he has to make good, especially in light of his next door neighbor (played by Phil Hartman) who is the perfect father putting together the perfect Xmas for his own son, while trying to horn in on Arnold's wife (played by Mary Steenberger) if I recall correctly. I laugh every time I even think of this movie.

HTH,

Deborah

9. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Charlie Brown Christmas
    Christmas Story
    Scrooge (1970 musical with Albet Finney. Just released to DVD 2 months ago.)
    Christmas Vacation
    The Ref (HILARIOUS!!)

10. JamesHromadka

JamesHromadka Stunt Coordinator

White Christmas. Watch it every year around this time.

11. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Let's face it. What's Christmas without Rankin-Bass's rather bland but endearing The Year Without a Santa Claus??

The movie doesn't have anything to recommend it unless you're a claymation fiend or a Shirley Booth fan EXCEPT for two characters who steal the show.

The Heat Miser (with the Don King do):

[​IMG]

and

his chilling nemesis,

The Snow Miser:

[​IMG]

I mean really, these two guys are icons of Christmas TV. Once seen and heard, never forgotten. My grandmother had Alzheimer's and even she could remember this.

12. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Marvin, you are correct. Don't know who or what I was thinking of. I have edited my post.

13. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Here's my list of Christmas DVDs. But I have to tell you that for maximum effect begin your viewing on the Friday after Thanksgiving (the unofficial start of the holiday season) at about 9:15 AM (after hearing Track 1 and 2 of the Carpenters' "Christmas Portrait: Special Digital Version" CD). Then, cue up "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer". Play it again at 8 PM.

Then, here's what I would recommend:

The Rankin/Bass films available on DVD ("Rudolph", "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town", "Frosty The Snowman", "Little Drummer Boy")
    "It's A Wonderful Life" (The granddaddy of all Christmas films)
    "The Sound Of Music"
    "Ben-Hur"
    "A Christmas Story"
    "A Charlie Brown Christmas"
    "Die Hard"
    "Die Hard 2: Die Harder"
    "Miracle On 34th Street"
    "The Bishop's Wife"
    "The Santa Clause"
    "Santa Claus: The Movie"
    "Holiday Inn"
    "White Christmas"
    "Prancer"

That's my maximum list.

14. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

Some other Christmas-connected movies:

Home Alone
    Catch Me if You Can
    The Family Man

15. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

"Santa Claus: The Movie"? Isn't that the movie with Dudley Moore as the head elf? For some reason, I really love that flick.

Also, one of the only watchable Ernest movies (in my opinion, anyway) is "Ernest Saves Christmas". It really does bring a heartfelt message and there's a whole lot of goofiness along the way. A lot of the Ernest movies are in the $6 bins right now, so I'd imagine you could find it at a low cost.

When in doubt, you can't go wrong with "It's a Wonderful Life" or "A Christmas Story". I love "Miracle on 34th Street", both the original and the '80s remake (is the '80s verions on DVD?). And "Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" is definitely near the top of any good Christmas movie list.

16. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

here's my list;
    DIE HARD
    NATNL LAMPOONS XMAS VACATION
    Xmas Story

Then, for thanksgiving its Plains, Trains, and Automobiles

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

We just launched a special Holiday Movies page a few weeks back. It includes mostly Christmas flicks but also some connected to other occasions. It's not all-inclusive, as it only goes into those we've reviewed, but I think it's a fun little page:

http://www.dvdmg.com/holidaydvds.shtml

18. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

Here are the ones I revisit annually.

A Christmas Story
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Cartoon)
    Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
    Frosty the Snowman
    A Charlie Brown Christmas
    A Muppet Christmas Carol
    Home Alone
    It's A Wonderful Life

Those are the ones that stick with me every year. Miracle on 34th Street I see occasionally. Never had much use for Scrooge, Scrooged, or A Christmas Carol, I thought the muppet's did it best. After all Christmas is about feeling like a child again.

Of course the quinessential thanksgiving movie is Planes Trains and Automobiles.

19. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

By the way I think the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol is the worst one ever. The 1951 version is much much better.

20. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin