Can someone please list some 32" analog tv's with the 16x9 squeeze please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Aug 17, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I'm looking for something to tide me over until I can buy an HDTV. I'm looking to spend $300-$500 on a 32" tv. I watch a lot of dvds, so I want at tv that has the 16x9 squeeze trick. If someone could list some possibilities I'd be greatful.
    Thanks!
    James

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'm not sure on this years models because there has been some debate on the Samsung's but I would check out the 32 inch Samsung. It can be had for around $450 As far as I know the only sets on the market that could do the "Squeeze Trick" from the men or remote were Sony's or Samsung's It can be done on some other brands but you have to enter the "service menu" to do it.

3. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks Bill! I'm trying to find a place where I can buy the 32" Samsung. Does anybody know which Sony and Samsung models have the squeeze trick?
    James

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Best Buy should have the Samsung's & Sears used to carry theanalog Samsung's but I'm not sure anymore. For info on the Samsung's & Sony's you might want to check www.jandr.com website or give them a call at 1-800-221-8180 & take their prices with a grain of salt because you can dicker with them and usually get it for want you want to pay unless the price that you want is way out of line.

5. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I think the Samsung is the only 32" in that price range, but good luck finding one. They seem to have evaporated. From what I hear also Sears have stopped carrying Samsung analog tv's. The Sonys that do the "squeeze" are only the flat screens that start at $900. JVC has a new 32" out that does it, flat screen also, at the $800 range. These are the only ones I am aware of. I also seem to remember somewhere that Samsung wasn't going to make analog tv's anymore? Has anyone else heard this?

TimG

6. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Bill and Tim,
    Thanks for the info, I really thought I'd have more options. Is this the Samsung tv you were talking about?
    James

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I could not get "THIS" to work. If I remember right the 32 inch Samsung model number was TXL3276 Samsung has it for sale on their website for $499 If I'm not mistaken all of last years analog sets from Samsung 20 inches & up could do the Squeeze trick & I think of "ALL" of these models were just carried over to this year without any changes. There were some changes on the the flat tube analog's & HDTV's though. Again I would check with J&R on the specs. they are usually pretty good on being up to date on them. I once had a problem trying to find a Samsung model that I was after because the CS reps don't have the models listed in their computers that a store might have. They can tell you that Sears carries Samsung but not which models, so what I got them to do was give me the telephone number of the Samsung distric rep. for my area. I gave him a call & he got back to me in 2 days telling me which store had what I was after.

8. Dan V

Dan V Stunt Coordinator

THe JVC 3230 does it, but you have to access it fromthe service menu.

9. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Toshiba 32A41 does it from service menu. Apparantly so does the 32A40, so I'm assuming the Toshiba 32A42 will also do it. I watch DVDs on my 32A41 and since I learned it could do the squeeze trick I don't think I've done it again. There was some overscan or something apparant in the picture, but I didn't take the time to tweak it.

Should be a thread in the forum about it.

Matthew Furtek

10. TimG

TimG Second Unit

James, just wondering if you found a tv yet? I still find it hard to believe that more manufactureres aren't including a "squeeze" mode on their analog sets. Everytime I talk to someone that has bought a Sony it is because of the compression mode moreso then any other attribute of the Sony being better than others. Just my .02 cents.

TimG

11. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

FWIW the JVC 32260 I have can do it through service mode. However after doing it and watching some enhanced widescreen dvds in this mode I did not see enough reason (if any) to bother. Yes some very slight improvement but you have to be on top of the set and looking at details rather than watching the movie.

12. Tim Neely

Tim Neely Auditioning

I too am in same boat w/ preset $500 limit from wife. I was all set on getting last years model Toshiba 32A32 from Sears for $449, but then did LOT's of reading here, and everyone was talking about last years Samsungs (TXL3376) being able to do the squeeze. However, I am unable to find anyone that has it in stock...even online most are on backorder. One concern is that this set only has S-video inputs. Then I noticed that the 27" flat screen Samsung/Akai is highly regarded here. I guess my question is this. Does anyone have any ideas if a 32" flat screen Akai might be in the works at around a $500 price point? If not, then between the Toshiba, and the JVC-32260 from Sam's which would be the better set? Seems those are my best two choices, and do the squeeze from service menu.
    Thanks,
    Tim

13. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Sofar, Samsung is only using the their 32 inch flat tube in their HDTV set so I doubt you see an AKAI version of it, but you never know. As for the regular 32 inch Samsung it does have Component, S-Video & Composite Video Inputs. I would try calling Samsung 1-800-SAMSUNG & see if you can get the phone number for the distric manager for your area & see if he can track one down for you. If I was going to chose from Toshiba or JVC I would go with the JVC but that's just my opinion. I myself had hoped that Samsung would have used the flat 32 inch tube in an analog set because I would have been all over it [​IMG]

14. Tim Neely

Tim Neely Auditioning

Thanks for the info Bill. I guess the site I was looking at for specs on the Samsung was incorrect. I think I'll give them a call and see how far I have to drive, and how much $$ it's gonna cost. Otherwise, it's off to Sam's I go!

15. Tim Neely

Tim Neely Auditioning

Got ahold of Samsung and they said the local Sears should have it. Went and found it on closeout...only bad part was they only had the display model left. Called all other sears with in driving distance, and they didn't have one in a box either. I checked, and the brightness and colors were set ok, but the contrast was cranked to 100%. This concerned me a bit, but they took another 10% off, so I went ahead and took the plunge. Now to find a video essentials, or Avia disk and get it set up properly. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Tim

16. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit