Can someone please explain the whole "anamorphic" thing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i know about TVs that can do the anamorphic "squeeze." it basically stretches the image to fit the 4:3 ratio of a normal TV. what i don't understand is what "anamorphic encoded" DVDs are. can someone explain all this please?
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

2. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Thomas,
    Anamorphic DVD's are designed to display correctly on a 16:9 formatted screen. When you play an anamorphic dvd on a standard 4:3 set, your dvd player converts the image by basically removing 1 out of every 3 (or is it 4?) lines of resolution so that the image will fit properly on your 4:3 tv. On 4:3 sets capable of performing the anamorphic squeeze, the vertical size of the picture is literally squeezed down to force more lines of resolution into a 16:9 space, when your dvd player is set (fooled) by telling it you have a 16:9 tv, it outputs the full resolution filling the space correctly.
    Their are 2 main benefits that I personally have noticed with this:
    1) No more jaggies from the dvd player's downconversion.
    2) A very noticeable reduction in the horizontal scan lines that used to be visible running across my screen.
    I am not a very good writer as you can now tell, so if this doesn't make sense, or more likely, my grasp of the facts are completely off base, I am sure someone will post a better and more accurate definition for you. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

4. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator