1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone please explain the whole "anamorphic" thing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i know about TVs that can do the anamorphic "squeeze." it basically stretches the image to fit the 4:3 ratio of a normal TV. what i don't understand is what "anamorphic encoded" DVDs are. can someone explain all this please?
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

2. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Thomas,
    Anamorphic DVD's are designed to display correctly on a 16:9 formatted screen. When you play an anamorphic dvd on a standard 4:3 set, your dvd player converts the image by basically removing 1 out of every 3 (or is it 4?) lines of resolution so that the image will fit properly on your 4:3 tv. On 4:3 sets capable of performing the anamorphic squeeze, the vertical size of the picture is literally squeezed down to force more lines of resolution into a 16:9 space, when your dvd player is set (fooled) by telling it you have a 16:9 tv, it outputs the full resolution filling the space correctly.
    Their are 2 main benefits that I personally have noticed with this:
    1) No more jaggies from the dvd player's downconversion.
    2) A very noticeable reduction in the horizontal scan lines that used to be visible running across my screen.
    I am not a very good writer as you can now tell, so if this doesn't make sense, or more likely, my grasp of the facts are completely off base, I am sure someone will post a better and more accurate definition for you. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

4. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator