What's new

Can someone name the voiceover artist for all those movie trailers? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Disney has their own voice over artist for their videos, for example, but I think most of the studios use one person in their theatrical promos. Anybody know who this person is?
------------------
kdp.jpg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know, but at the risk of sounding mean-spirited, I wish they would retire him. I am so sick of hearing that guy.
Of course, a lot of it isn't his fault. How many times can you say, "In a world where. . . ." and not become annoying?

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
You aren't kidding, Greg!
"...in a world where nothing is as it seems, one man risks everything to save his wife, his family, and his very soul... they thought they could bring him down... they were wrong....dead wrong!"
20 years from now, I'm sure all of today's trailers will look just as hokey as the ones from our favorite classics. Just give it time.
------------------

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know the name of the guy but he was on a Hollywood Video Commercial. It was neat to see his face.
I was watching Play Misty For Me the other day and I clicked on the trailer. The guy who did the voiceover for that trailer (Paul Frees) was more effective that this new guy. Mr. Frees since has died but Disney had someone try to mock his voice for their new Haunted Mansion Holiday and it's dead on.
We need more Paul Free's in the world.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
You may be talking about Peter Cullen (I think he was the one in that Hollywood Video commercial, BTW). He is the voice for millions of those movie trailers. He's also Optimus Prime for you Transformer fanatics.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Yes, Don LaFontaine is the original gravel voiced person on the movie trailers. There was recently one of those Sunday afternoon "Travels with Harry" episodes that featured Don. He is a millionaire. He spends about 15 minutes in the studio, just reading his part, and then leaves. He travels to each recording session by limo, not because he is stuck up, but because he can leave it running with the driver, so he can hurry to the next recording session.
He also said he does nothing for his throat. No herbal teas, no steam baths, no lemon water. He merely resists the urge to shout at sporting events. What a gift.
------------------
Randy Tennison
Kansas City, MO
Home theater photos located at
http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

paul_v

Second Unit
I think trailors without narration are better (Pearl Harbor trailor, Phantom Menace trailor). Lord of the Rings trailor suffered cause the guy reads out "one ring to bind them", etc. It's liek...hey moron we can read! I hate the narration in trailors.
------------------

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
I don't think any Tolkien fan would object to hearing those words. They are sweet music to my ears :)
--
Holadem - can't get enough of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks