What's new

Can someone look at this crude sketch of my HT set up. (1 Viewer)

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
I am about to move into my new house and I am trying to think out how I am going to set up my HT again. The sketch is a quick one but you get the point. The stuff in red is the speakers. 2 SVS subs in one corner, the L & R fronts are at the top of the entertainment center like on the top shelf (about 6-7' from the ground) on there sides, the center is on the same level as the L&R's on a shelf above the tv, and the 2 rears are on a small makeshift shelf at the top of the wall (maybe like a few inches away from the ceiling) and they are pointing at at each other. I plan on aiming the center and the L&R fronts down toward the couch. Any thought, inputs whatever. I am kinda limited to where I can put some of this stuff but I was wondering if that looks good or not.
Speakers are B&W 602 (front) 601 (rear) cc6 (center) 2SVS 39cs+/S1000amp
Thanks
Mark
EDIT: ok this link should work
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/nolacls/v...c=ph%26.view=t

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
pretty good sketch!
imo, that layout looks near optimal. all your speakers are about where they should be. the only thing i'm thinking is that your mains are too close to the center, but that's no biggie.
you already mentioned aiming the speakers as necessary so that's a good thing. also, you're going to corner-load two svs subs? :eek: hope you like your bass!
don't forget to calibrate! after that...you should be golden.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah the L&R will be about 2-3 feet from the center but I don't think i can fix that...I have stands for all these speakers but I don't have room now cuz it will already be blocking the sliding glass door. My only concerns were the SVS are going to be kinda tight in that corner and I didn't know if that would effect them much, I wasn't sure if the fact that the center and the mains are going to be high off the ground (reason for the aiming)if it would effect the sound much, and as for the rears I didn't know if that would be the right way to put them...up high and shooting at each other (but I think I read thats how they should be) also the fact that the right rear will be further away but I am guessing I can fix that with the level adjustment...right?
Question...if the mains are on there sides where should the tweeters be...on the inside closest to the center or on the outside away from the center??
Ohh and I will use my RS meeter and avia to calibrate it all...and I do LOVE bass ;) unless you think that its going to be tooo much and sound bad?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well, since you're stuck with the speaker height, aiming is the next best thing you can do. usually, getting the tweeter to hit your head is the most important.
you're going to lay these things on their side? hmm...at the very least do yourself a favor and position them vertically and then do a comparison. most speakers have specific dispersion patterns - changing their orientation can affect that. of course, if you don't notice a difference then the issue is moot.
when it comes to speaker placement the golden rule is to experiment. find what works best for you...that's really all that matters anyway.
finally, here's a link for tips from dolby.com about speaker placement:
http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh....html#chapter3
okay, ill stop yappin' now. :)

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah thats what I had just read so I was thinking the rears will be ok.
Hmm ok I will have to see with them standing upright...I was thinking on the side so it don't take up soo much room in the bookshelves but sound is most important...I will have to take a listen. If they do wind up on the side do you think the tweets in or out?
Yeah I plan on playing as much as room will allow but I wanted to get some input from everyone I could...so yap away...it don't bother me ;)
Any other thoughts welcome :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ted pokes his head around the corner and yells....
"oh yeah...speakers typically sound better when they are placed away from the walls!"
:D

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I looked at the Dolby info...I will try to get the subs out away from the wall and everything else but I don't know how possible that will be. What are the effects of it being snugged up like it might end up being...too boomy...no bass at all?!?! I could put it on the other wall but then I WILL have a big glair on the TV from the windows and then you will not be able to see the TV from the kitchen, bar and then the couch will probably block the sliding glass door even more that the entertainment center...ahhhh why cant houses come with a HT ROOM already built in it :frowning: :angry:
hmmm I do have a living room that I don't use that much:crazy:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I remember this from a while back. That setup looks fine.

The SVSs should be just fine where they are, but that is going to be an ungodly amount of bass. It's the main speakers you might want to move farther apart, depending on how far you sit from them (see Dolby recommendation). One thing, try to move the mains out from being flush with the front of the entertainment center/TV.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I dont mind if it has a ton of bass I am a bass head :D...I can always trim that for movies (rather have to much than to little) and pump it for my music...I just didnt want to to get muffled or nulled out because of where it was going to be sitting (crammed in a corner).
Thanks for all the input everyone...I will let yall know how it goes in a few weeks once I get it all set back up. If anyone else wants to chime in please do so ;)
Mark

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
B&W speakers tend to be quite picky sometimes. They are very nice, but jamming them in there like that doesn't do them justice. There may be some speakers that will work better in such a confined space.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
These are the speakers I have so I am going to have to make due with what I have for now. By jamming them in there do you mean laying them on there sides or do you mean by putting them in a bookshelf??

Ohh yeah and still my question...if for some reason I have to have them on there sides would you have the tweeters away from the center or in closer to the center?? I am guessing on the outside away from the center but that will put the mid driver closer to the center.

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Mark,

If you look at the tweeter situation logically you want enough room between the left and right mains and the center. That way you get the best imaging. If you put the tweeters too close to the center you will not notice the panning between left-center-right. The tweeters will be so close that all the front soundstage will appear to come from the center of your setup. So tweeters outside.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Thats what I was kinda thinking to but I just wanted some conformation on it...thanks...and yes it all helps ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks