What's new

Can someone list all the players that do both DVD-A and SACD??? (1 Viewer)

Dean_S

Second Unit
I know about the Pioneer and Elite models. Is anyone else making players that do both...or even better a good 5 or 6 disc changer that does both???

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The ones I know of off the top of my head:

Denon 5900, 2900, and 2200
Marantz DV8400, DV6400
Yahama S2300

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hmmm... Samsung DVD-HD941

I keep going back and forth between the Pioneer and the Samsung DVD-HD931. The Samsung has DVI and the Pioneer does DVDA and SACD. Niether do/have both.

Apparently, Samsung has heeded the call and added DVDA and SACD to the 931. I can't seem to find any reference to this player except one etailer.

Any other DVDA/SACD players with a DVI port?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
don't know if there are.

BTW the Samsung 941 has a HDMI port.. this article doesn't say anything about DVI - are they compatible?

edit: I recall reading in HFC that the Denon A-11 has a DVI out. Not sure if the US model (dvd-5900) is similarly equipped

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
oops. I may have wrongly assumed it was identical to the 931.

But that article states that they: "host advanced features such as DVI and HDMI outputs for uncompressed digital video, as well as Faroudja's DCDi™ video de-interlacing technology."

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
it was $149 last week too. I was there yesterday staring at it next to the Samsung 931 and I couldn't pull the trigger on either one. They both have something the other doesn't have...and with my impending purchase of a Sony Wega LCD or Samsung DLP with DVI, I have to defer to video over audio.

Of course, I still can use a dedicated audio player but I'm hoping I can hit two birds with one stone.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I always feel that at the 563A price-point you should expect nothing more than a player with sacd/dvd-a, and its intention is no more than to give you a cheap player that does both. if you worry about SQ from these two formats there are other better players (pioneer Elite 59?, denon 2200, 2900).

not to say that the SQ from 593 is inadequate but format notwithstanding, there are obviously compromises pioneer had to make to bring the price down. Apparently for most people these compromises are acceptable, but do not expect miracles?

anyone played with the Yamaha S1500 yet?

Kevin*Ha

Agent
Is there a Denon that that does both SACD and has Faroudja's DCDi? I couldn't find one but I figure there might be an older model.

Raj_Thiara

Agent
I asked the guys at Yamaha's website and they said the S1500 should be available come April. I have yet to hear anything about its performance but the S2300 which is its predecessor was very highly rated. It was definitely thought to be a step below the Denon 2900 according to one reviewer who tried both. However, with a MSRP of $399 and DCDi, I think it is going to be hard to beat in terms of value.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Check out Stereophile magazine this month (if not that one, the DVD etc, both I get).

Near the back it's got a grid of all the universals, very informative. Small article. The feature is advertised on the front cover.

Go crazy.

Edit: yeah, that was sound and vision. My fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks