What's new

Can someone help me out? (1 Viewer)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I got a new piece to my system. I won a X-box at work tonight man was I happy. My system consist now of a hitachi 57"uwx, dvd/vcr combo,marantz 4300 receiver,direct tv receiver,and a playstation 2 and now a X box not hooked up. I now run dvd player with component cables out to tv,direct tv S video out to tv and PS2 directly to tv. Should I run X-box straight to tv or should I run some of these through my receiver. Is there a better way to run this. Thanks in advance. David

If you have another component input on the TV, then I would suggest doing that. If you're all out of component inputs on the TV, the receiver works just as well. If you're all out of component inputs on both, then maybe a good switchbox for the PS2 and X-Box is in order. I'd run the digital audio to the receiver of course.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
That XBox can output progressive video, so unless your receiver has HD component switching, going directly to the TV is recommended.

You can either:

- Buy the "Advanced AV pack" for $20 to enable the progressive-scan output feature on the XBox. But the breakout box is cheap plastic, as well as the wires. But it does work.

- Monster makes a single, solid cable that has the XBox connector on one side, and component & L/R audio plugs on the other. It runs about $60. It has a small jack that you buy the accessory optical cable to send DD sound to an input on your receiver. (Halo with DD 5.1 is great).

While straight to the TV is recommened, you have enough devices that flowing video through the receiver starts to be desirable.

But: most receivers do not convert one video type to another.

So for any SVideo source, you need to run SVideo cables from the receiver to the TV. And this will not show any video for Component sources. You must also run Component cables from the receiver to the TV and when you switch between a SVideo source to a component source on the receiver, you must also change inputs on the TV.

But if you run Video straight to the TV, and audio to the receiver, you have to keep these in sync anyway so it's not much different.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
What about this I ran it into the dvd/vcr combo I have component coming out of it(dvd/vcr) going to the tv. Am I getting component quality doing this? Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks