What's new

Can someone help me out with designing a box for: ApexJr 8" super sub? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I am going to buy this sub to use for my computer but don't know what size of enclosure and port I would need to tune it around 30hz. It's xmax isn't given so I don't know what to do. I will be powering it with ~160 watts RMS.
And here are its given specs:
FS=47.75Hz
Qms=7.334
Qes=.552
Qts=0.514
Vas=0.376 cu. ft.
Re=2.653 ohms
Le=0.157mH
Spl=85.22 @ 1w/1m
Here's a picture of this bad little thing:
Thanks a lot guys!

A

Anthony_Gomez

iirc, the sub at the basslist meeting was also tunned to 30hz with a 2" port. rather impressive for a little driver

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey,

That's a mighty high Fs. You might be better off going with the Dayton 8" woofer. IIRC, it's around $18 from Parts Express and works very well in a 1ft^3 enclosure tuned to 30Hz.

Brian

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Thanks Brian. After downloading WinISD and inputting the Super Sub's specs, I decided to check out the Dayton 8". It looked pretty good so I bought the 10" version! :D It gives me a little more flexibility but I will still be tuning it to 30 hz with a 3 inch flared port from PE. I can't wait!
Oh yeah, I'm also building the 2 speakers for my computer to go with the sub. I decided on the 4" Tang Band fullrange driver with the silver/chrome phase plug. Overall I think it should sound pretty dang good! But I wonder if those two speakers will sound as good as the Monsoon flat panel speakers that I just purchased also. Those things are pretty amazing!
Thanks again!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey,
The 10" should be very nice. I'll say that I think these Dayton drivers are easily better quality than you find in most of the $300-$400 subs at Best Buy, CC, etc.
Is the 4" the little W4-616S that PE sells? The response graph shows that there's not much extension past 10KHz. Let me know what you think of them. What type of enclosure are you planning to use for them?
Brian
P.S. Glad I could be of some help! :)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Those are the drivers. Hmm...didn't pay close enough attention to above 10khz for some reason. Guess I should have gone with the 3" version. Oh well, too late now as they've already been shipped.
As for enclosure size, I haven't determined that yet. Any suggestions?
Do you happen to know of a cheap tweeter that I could use to help it out in the >10khz frequency range? I have absolutely NO crossover skills so make sure it would take the LEAST amount of components. I really need to start researching crossovers so I can go further in debt! :D
I did just buy a 2hp router so I'm about ready to do some cutting! :)
Thanks again for your help Brian.
PS, I still keep pronouncing your last name Bunj not Bung. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks