Can someone give me the background for Angel?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Oct 9, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I happen to see the preview for season 5 and it looked interesting. I know he is a Vampire and it was a Buffy spin-off. But, someone once told me it is not as goofy as Buffy. Can someone tell me what the show is like?

2. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

The show has tended to be somewhat darker than BUFFY, and not as metaphorical. Its initial target audience was also a somewhat older demographic.

The set up is that Angel is a vampire with a soul, who is seeking redemption through good works and helping to fight evil in the world. He sets himself up as an unliscensed detective who takes on the cases of people who are having sort of otherworldly problems. Wesley and Cordelia from BUFFY join him in his work and help to run "Angel Investigations." There have been other characters added and substracted over the years, but mostly it is about the ongoing struggle to be one of the good guys and to do the right things. Like BUFFY before it, our heroes manage to barely keep evil at bay, but cannot ever eliminate it completely. Lots of ups and downs and twists sideways, as you can imagine. If you are interested in ethical questions and exploration, it can be very interesting and sophisticated. It also regularly makes fun of Los Angeles (where it is set) and lawyers, who play a big part in the series. (I like to think of ANGEL as the longest running lawyer joke in the world.)

The set up and tone of this season appears to be a little different than those of seasons' past, but it is too early to tell if this is a good or a bad thing. Like BUFFY, it is full of clever quips and a fair amount of irony and humor. For four seasons, it has been a great, great show, well worth watching if you like monsters, good stories, and great writing.

Hope that helps,

Deborah

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I could write more words than Deborah, but would add nothing to her very complete précis.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Sounds a little like Forever Knight.

Thanks!

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It doesn't come off at all like Forever Knight due to Angel being a lot less mopey and a lower incidence of flashbacks.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

How much does Angel use continuing storylines & recurring characters compared to what Buffy did? I'm watching the latter in order; I've seen all of seasons 1 & 2 & that's it. I'm wondering when to start watching the Angel series- would it be better to watch all Buffy seasons first? If not, where in the order would you start? Were there any storylines that went back & forth between the two series while both were on the air?

I'd rather watch this type of series, so I'm not gonna start watching the current Angel episodes when it's already been on a few seasons. Plus I'm spoiled from the DVD sets & don't have the patience to wait a week between episodes. [​IMG] I watch a disk about once a week, & it's all new to me.

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Here's how to watch 'em:

Buffy 1, 2, 3
    Buffy 4/Angel 1
    Buffy 5/Angel 2
    Buffy 6/Angel 3
    Buffy 7/Angel 4
    Angel 5

I haven't seen but a few episodes of Angel season 1 (from what TNTs showing)..I probably need to find a good deal on it.

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Chris, once Angel gets out of the first season, it starts relying very heavily on ongoing storylines. Every bit as much as Buffy did.

9. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

John, I assume that's the original broadcast order?

10. John Thomas

Chris, from my best recollection that's how they came out. I remember Buffy & gang graduating high school in season 3; that's when Cordy left to go to Los Angeles. I'm not sure if Whedon's intention was for the viewer to see the Buffy S4 episode then the Angel S1 episode. but I don't know if there was enough crossover to make a difference. There was this last season, when Willow went to LA, picked up Faith and travelled back with her but I'm not sure if there was in the other seasons or not.

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

There are crossovers sin every season excpet Buffy 6/Angel 3

12. John Thomas

Oh ok. I just watched a an episode from Angel S1 that had Buffy in 'em; the one where Angel got the regenerative powers and became human/alive again. I knew there's some crossover in Buffy S7/Angel S4. Angel came over to Buffy in Season 5 when Buffy's mom died
    , I'm trying to recall others.

13. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Harmony went to Angel after leaving Buffy and Cordelia speaks on the phoen to Willow in thta episode. Plus there's the two-part flashback that tells Spike's story of Buffy and Angel's on Angel.

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I watched last wednesday's episode (it was on after Smallville), first ever. The sarcasm can be heavy handed at times (quip after quip gets tiring) but it seems like a fun show. Not that I will ever religiously watch it.

I have never followed either series, but I LOVE Spike.

I know about John Thomas' spoiler... That's a fairly gutsy move.

--
    H