What's new

Can Someone give me some Info (Car Related) (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I got a check engine light the other day. I went to get the ODB II code read and it came up as P1456 for a 2001 Acura Integra. I looked up the code and got this "Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Control System Leakage (Fuel Tank System)"

Can anyone give me some more in depth information on what the problem would be and what I might be looking at in repairs. I checked online, but all I could find were long manuals. I was hoping someone here could give me a more simple explanation.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
It could be your gas cap is not on tight enough. I had this happen to a Pontiac of mine once and I took it in. The guy tightened the gas cap and told me that he has seen this happen several times. I felt like a dumba$$ but at least he didn't charge me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That's the first thing I thought of too, but when it happened, I had not gotten any gas recently, so it seems unlikely

Bobbi*L

Agent
Check your oil, that's usually what those idiot lights are trying to tell you.

Before you think why should I listen to a woman, you should know that this woman built her 1971 Z-28 Camaro, and refuses to let anyone else touch it, I do all the maintenance and any other work she may need.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
??? from that code above?

As stated, check the fuel cap. That's the most common cause of that code. Even if you haven't gotten gas in a while. Take the cap off, clean the sealing surface on the cap and the tank side, then reinstall it- turn until it clicks.

After that, start looking for vent line cracks. Best bet is to get a shop manual, if you intend to do your own work on this vehicle. Not a Chilton's, but a real one, from Helm.

Todd

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It generally takes 3 times starting the car for setting a CEL on something like a loose gas cap.

Go find an online forum for Integras...there have to be lots of those. Search on the P code because there's lots of "been there done that" advice available.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Interesting, our Toyota tech stated we had to drive a couple hundred miles before the CEL would go off due to an untightened gas cap... It was unnerving to drive 200+miles with the CEL light on, but ended up being a clogged filter (fixed under warranty, thank gawd it wasn't the oil filter !).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I tightend the gas cap and had the light shut off at Autozone. I am waiting to see if it comes back on. They told me that in many cases going over bumps can sometimes trigger codes. It is possible I was going over speed bumps right before the light came on, but I can't remember for sure.

Have Integras been known for having problems? If so, it seems odd as Honda is known for having a good reputation when it comes to durability.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
No, he's simply pointing out that there are lots of forums for Integras. Lots of internet-inclined folk own them, so it's only natural.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It can sometimes take a week from the time of fillup for an evap code to set if the gascap isn't tight, depending on your driving patterns. Basically the computer monitors the pressure in the fuel system to determine if there's a vapor leak-it wants to see negative pressure under certain conditions and it may take several trips for the necessary driving cycle to be completed.

If the light comes on again and sets the same code (depending on make and model there can be upwards of 50 or more different codes overall, both govt. mandated and make-specific) I'd recommend having an Acura dealer check it out before you replace any expensive parts yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks