Can someone give me a speaker recommendation please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Can someone please recommend a set of 5 speakers for me? i will listen to music just as often as watching movies. they need to be small, able to be powered by an Onkyo TX-DS595, and able to fit this room. i will measure the vertical space i have when i visit in the next few weeks so i can purchase a sub to put under the desk/bed/in the closet. i'd like to keep it $400-$500 if possible. anything you can throw out is helpful.
    Thanks!
    [Edited last by Thomas_Berg on July 15, 2001 at 11:37 PM]

2. Seth

Seth Auditioning

Definitive Technology makes a number of small speaker sets.
    They sound great for movies and music too.
    Seth

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Also, take a look at Home Theater Direct speakers. Specifically the Level III set. It may cost a bit more than your $500 limit (by about $50 if you get just the bookshelves and the center channel), but they do a fantastic job. You'd be very pleased with them.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Forner on July 16, 2001 at 04:13 AM]

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Ive heard that the JBL package is better than the Energy Take 5 package, but Energy has a new one called the Take 5.2 and I think its around that same price range.
    P.S. Another San Antonian [​IMG]
    http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5-2/take5-2_speakers1.html "Charlie don't surf."
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on July 16, 2001 at 05:23 AM]

5. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Thomas,
    Check out this terrific sounding setup consisting of the Atlantic Technology 250.1 timbrally matched (5) speaker satellite system and the M&K V-125 powered subwoofer. The system is in like new condition and is priced at just $650.00. The sub alone lists for $950.00! Here's the link:www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum5/HTML/002141.html
    Any questions please feel free!
    Regards,
    Glenn

6. Joey_R

Joey_R Stunt Coordinator

I have the Onkyo 595, JBL NSP-1 5-piece set and the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer. I am very pleased with performance of this system. My room is considerably larger than the room you are planning and this setup is more than sufficient in both quality and volume. A subwoofer is a must with these speakers. The Sony has quite a reputation on this forum, and IMHO, it is well-deserved. I, too, listen to a 50/50 mix of movies and music. The NSP-1/SA-WM40 combination performs well at both. I never cease to be amazed at how well the Sony sub performs for such a modest price. The combo is not the greatest, most accurate system I have heard; after all, it costs only $438.00 (279.00 + 159.00)! For the value-minded consumer, I think this combination is an excellent choice. I would suggest one would have a difficult, if not impossible, time creating a better sounding setup dollar for dollar.