can someone explain...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by john waring, Nov 20, 2001.

1. john waring

john waring Agent

Hi,I am a newbie to home theater. I am looking for someone to explain the order of connections.I have an older TV a toshiba 27" . I have an AVR510 Harmon Kardon reciever. I have my 5 speakers and a sub. I will be getting my dvd soon. I am using a cable system right now but will be switching to satelite next july.I am just wondering the best way to connect all this and if there is any special wires or cables I might need. Thanks

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hi John:I also have the AVR510.Tell me exactly what inputs and outputs you have on the back of your tv and I'll get back to you with how I have mine hooked up.[​IMG]

3. john waring

john waring Agent

Hi thx for answering. On the back of tv its like this ,i HAVE A PLACE FOR CABLE IN . (COAX) I HAVE THREE HOLES ON TOP FOR AUDIO VIDEO INPUT .RIGHT -LEFT -VIDEO. BELOW THOSE THREE HOLES I HAVE 2 HOLES FOR AUDIO OUTPUT (VARIABLE) .RIGHT -LEFT . THANKS

4. Sheldon

John[​IMG]o you have any other equip that you wish to hook up ie:VCR or other amps? You have a total of 5 ? plugs excluding cable hookup in the rear of your tv? Yellow,White,and Red ?

5. john waring

john waring Agent

HI,YES I have 5 plugs like you say. Oh ya I do have a hitachi vcr that will be hooked up.

6. john waring

john waring Agent

Hey sheldon, thx for your help. I am anxious to hear your reply. However ,I must be goin to work and I will check here when I get home. I recieve my reciever on thursday (supposedly) Can't wait. Have you ever heard of Messina speakers? They are made in Quebec ,Canada. Thx again,j

7. Sheldon

John:I'll be going home from work in about 2.5 hours so it won't be until tomm until I can get back to you.As for the Messina speakers,I haven't of them before.I don't think that they are sold anywhere here.Do they have a website?

8. john waring

john waring Agent

Hi sheldon,ok thx ,I'll be lookin tomorrow. As for you to check out the Messinas speakers I found their website by typing in messina speakers in the search option. Once there select that you want english and thats it. I realize there is probably better speakers out there but once I heard these I was sold on the spot. They have a great sound. Thanks again. J

9. john waring

john waring Agent

Need an opinion on the panasonic rp-91. Anyone ? Is this a progressive scan machine?

10. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

The RP-91 is great, and does have progressive scan outputs.

Best thing to do is search in this forum for other threads on that topic.

-JNS

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

12. Sheldon

John:Are you having trouble hooking up all of your plugs/inputs to the receiver from VCR,DVD,etc??

13. john waring

john waring Agent

Hi sheldon,ya I'm tryin to set up the entire system. I have only rca wires . Have no idea what all this S-video stuff and digital coax stuff. I have an older Hitachi stereo hi-fi VCR. A JVC CD player.Neither of which has S-video connections.I thought it was going to be easy to set up but now that I have it ,I'm not sure. In the old days you plugged in the phono ,the tape deck and the speakers and crank it up! Things sure have changed.

14. Sheldon

I really wouldn't sweat it John...Just take the cables you have and install red to red,white to white etc on the back of your vcr.When done,you should have 6 connections (3 for audio,red white and yellow) and (3 for video,red white and yellow).If you can do this,it's a simple matter of hooking the other ends up to the receiver Vid 1 Audio red,white and yellow and Vid 1 Video red,white and yellow.Do you have those connections on the vcr?

15. john waring

john waring Agent

Sheldon, What kind of signal are you recieving .Are you hooked to a satelite dish or a cable system?

16. Sheldon

Cable system for now.I am currently debating between Star Choice,Bell ExpressVu,and Eastlink Digital but am leaning towards ExpressVu.