What's new

Can someone explain what this means? (1 Viewer)

Wil Lee

Grip
One of the cons listed by cnet on the Samsung TXM3098whf is that the set "has standard resolution, which is considerably less favorable than some similarly priced TVs. For example, the Zenith C32V23, a 32 inch TV at around $1,296, has HDTV resolution. Also, this TV has only a 30 inch screen size. This is not out of line with the product's price, but is less favorable than the average TV on the market today."

What does that mean it has standard resolution and not HDTV resolution? This is especially confusing to me since the set is HDTV compatible. Is this a misprint?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Standard resolution means ... cannot accept an HDTV signal.

Limited to 480i or 480p at best.

Regards

Wil Lee

Grip
Yes David, here it is:

shopper.cnet.com/Samsung_TXM3098WHF/4014-6481_9-9729678.html?tag=1htrdr&q=samsung%20txm3098whf

Click on "cons" under the CNET product brief section on the right.

Unfortunately, I cannot post links since I'm relatively new.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I don't understand the concern, the Samsung is HD capable and does about as much resolution as most other tube designs. 800 lines horizontal. AKA 800x1080i

It can't handle the full HD 1080i load, but what directview set can?

Regards

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wil, I'm not sure what that link is talking about. The Samsung is certainly a HDTV capable tube. It's odd what the CNET Shopper Beta says compared to the official CNET review.

I'm guessing they mixed it up with the review of another Samsung set though I can't find any 30 inch Samsung that isn't HDTV capable. The only other think I can figure, but they didn't say it right was the Zenith they referenced has a built in integrated HD tuner and the Samsung requires a separate HDTV tuner.

Wil Lee

Grip
Mahalo David. That makes much more sense now that you mentioned the Zenith has an built in HD tuner. It's phrased badly and that's probably what they meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks