Can someone explain what the scam is on this Ebay item?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jerry Almeida, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I did a quick search here at HTF, and it doesn't look like this has been brought up.

There's a person on ebay selling a "175" Television". I guess it's some sort of projector, but in the details it looks like all you get is a couple of lens's and a VCD.
    Obviously this is some sort of cheap scan, but I'm interested in how this is supposed to work exactly. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to provide
    the link to this item, but if you do a search for 175" Plasma , you'll find it.

By the way this item sells for $10, and according to the seller he's sold over 500,000.

Thanks

2. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

It's probably one of those flimsy plastic full-page magnifiers you can buy to make the print in books appear bigger. How that could possibly project an image is beyond me but by golly half a million happy customers can't be wrong...can they?

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I believe you take a small TV, like a 19", turn the settings way up, then make shroud out of a cardboard box and put the lens on the end of that, moving the lens in and out to zoom the image.

It works, but it doesn't look good at all. I think it was Home Theater Magazine that tried it out just for fun in the past year or so.

4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I tried it out for fun once too. It is a neat science experiment for kids, but nothing you would want to actually watch something on. Don't feed the Ebay guys by paying for it though. There are free instructions online, and all you need to do is buy a fresnel lens at Barnes and Nobles or Office Depot. Any place like that.

BTW, you can perminately ruin your tv by doing this as you have to turn it upside down unless you use mirrors to reverse the image.