What's new

Can someone explain to me what a Rumble Filter / Bass Boost does to a woofer? (1 Viewer)

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if someone could please explain to me in layman's terms what a rumble filter at 35hz and 28hz would do to a subwoofer.

Would this be less than ideal for home theater applications where the main goal is to replay things with deep bass below 20hz?

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I'm no expert, but I'd think a rumble filter at 28 or 35Hz would be pretty counterproductive in a subwoofer application. Generally, they are applied (I think) to protect the driver from overexcursion at the very low frequencies, and are basically a bit of equalization built in to roll off response below the selected point.

A rumble filter at 35Hz would start to rob you of a lot of good usable output.

A bass boost is pretty much the opposite, a built in boost in EQ applied to the selected frequency. I would think it would make more sense to see a bass boost at 28 or 35Hz, and a rumble filter kick in somewhere below 20Hz, depending on the driver you're using.

It might help if you mention what amp & driver you're thinking about using, maybe someone will be familiar with it.

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm gonna go buy either a bash amp from Oaudio (they have a variable eq), or the behringer at Parts Express. Your suggestions?

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Which behringer? A europower? They have filters but they're defeatable via dip switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks