What's new

Can someone explain to me the various kinds of police (e.g., state, county, sheriff)? (1 Viewer)

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
NYC actually does have sherrifs but the only responsibility they have is towing and impounding scofflaw cars.

NYPD used to be split into different fields Transit-which only patrolled the subways, Housing-Dedicated to the public owned housing projects (horrible job) and the rest.

As witnessed on 911 theres also the Port Authority Police, completly seperate from the NYPD (by infrastructure and pay) which are responsible for properties owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (Kennedy, LaGuardia, Newark, WTC, Hudson River Tunnels and bridges, and shipping ports)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I live in an unincorporated area of town, and I see sheriff's deputies cars and county police cars here. What happens if I call 911, let's say for a burglary, who comes? Anyone know? If a city police is closer (I live 3 miles outside the city limit), can he come instead of a sheriff or county police?

KyleS

Screenwriter
If a city police is closer (I live 3 miles outside the city limit), can he come instead of a sheriff or county police?
The city police (assuming you really are out of the city) would not receive the 911 call the Sheriff, County, or State police would. It would depend who was on call so to speak that would be coming out. In a lot of areas, depending on what day of the week it is, they can share or split responsibility depending on the staff available. So to answer your question it wouldnt be the city but it would either be the Sheriff or county that would respond ;)
KyleS

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
BLOODY MURDER!!!
Dont speculate when the boogieman is prowling your property! Call the Pima County Sheriff's Department non-emergency number HERE to discuss jurisdiction, and while you're at it, find out what fire station protects your property and stop by for a hello. It's YOUR taxes!
bill

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
mike, my pleasure.

two fun ideas, further. The S/O can arrange for a day or night citizen ride-along, tho 99pct of the time it's a dull job, then 1 pct terror. And you can ask to visit the county/city 911 center. That's usually quite impressive, like being in a aircraft carrier's combat information center.

bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks