Can someone explain this to me? (re:Disney & WS)...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, May 15, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just received Oliver & Company today. And I found it funny that they this "family" film is Widescreen only. Yet, a movie like Snow Dogs is pan & scam. Don't get me wrong I am glad that they released it this way. But, this policy makes no sense.

ps-I got my version from a Canadian E-tailer. It makes a big issue about having a french track. Are their any other differences between the US & Canadian releases?

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

My personal opinion is that Disney is and has always been anti-widescreen. They have proven, to me anyway, that they only release widescreen when they need to just to get us to shut up. The fact that they also actively censor their classic animations and movies to appease the politically correct also proves their disrespect for their own works.
    When it comes to DVD, particularly in the earlier stages, it was safe to assume that most DVD owners were movie advocates who wanted OAR, so they went to that to avoid the backlash that would have otherwise occurred if they only release in pan-and-scan.
    However, now they have their self-proclaimed statements about how the majority of calls that are coming into their hotlines are anti-widescreen because of the dreaded "black bars". That was the excuse that they needed to go back to their anti-widescreen core beliefs; therefore, they plan on making new and future DVDs pan-and-scan only.
    That just my two cents. Your mileage may vary. [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

4. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

I don't necessarily agree that Disney is anti-widescreen. Ever since Laserdisc, they were the ones to release classic animation in it's OAR and they have stuck to that on DVD (at least on the animation front) for the most part. I remember in the beginning, the big deal was them not utilising 16x9.
    I think that they just take special care about the animated films more than they do about the recent live-action fare.
    All IMO.[​IMG]
    Rafael

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    There is no real rule of thumb, but they seem to be more worried about the new release shopper not liking widescreen than the catalog title shopper.

I would certainly not characterize Disney as anti-widescreen from the beginning. They experimented with non-OAR early on some family titles, but have been predominantly widescreen with very little pan & scan until recently. Their biggest early sins were support for DIVX (which was almost all pan & scan) and lack of anamorphic enhancement prior to sometime around when Shakespeare in Love was released.

Regards,

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I know everyone in this thread has called and emailed Disney [​IMG] to express your displeasure, so I won't repeat that plea here...
    Now you can also contact Walmart if you haven't already:
    http://161.165.200.61/wmstore/wmstores/HomePage.jsp
    (click on "contact us" at the bottom and then click on on-line form)
    Go for it folks. They have a nice little 1-800 number too. Remember, this whole P/S Disney thing is because of 2 things:
    1. consumers calling and complaing about "black bars" to Disney
    2. Walmart told the studios they want P/S bcs their customers "hate the black bars".
    go and let your voice or reason be heard...
    -dave