Can Someone Explain Stereo Pre-Amps w/ HT Bypass?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lin Park, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

It seems that most of my friends who are into great audio setups have been able to work their audio equipment into their home theaters. They were able to get me hooked on audio after I had purchased most of my HT stuff and I don't have room (or money) for separate setups.
    I was speaking to a salesman about my options and he suggested I get a nice tube stereo pre-amp with a Home Theater Bypass. Does anyone here have experience with this sort of thing and, if so, can you explain how it works?
    Thanx,
    Lin

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

The HT bypass on a stereo preamp basically acts as a unity gain; i.e. whatever signal comes in, gets sent out. Usually the preamp is passive and relays send the signal right back out when it is in bypass mode. You would insert the preamp b/t the HT processor and outboard amps.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I have a Pre amp with a HT bypass and it works this way in a less technical offering. Hooking up an amp to your pre amp goes as normal. However, running a pair of RCA cables from the HT bypass inputs located in the back of your pre amp to a seperate Pre/Pro decoder will bypass the signal from your power amp straight to your DD/DTS decoder bypassing the 2-channel pre amp. Your 2-channel pre amp is no longer in control of the signal coming from your amp and submits all controls including volume, balance, speaker control and calibration etc to the pre/pro. It's like the 2-channel pre amp is no longer there and the Pre/Pro is now your pre amp. What makes this work so well is that with the flick of a switch you can go from 2-channel music using your preferred 2-channel pre amp and when it's time for a movie you can switch your 2-channel pre amp out and use your pre/pro to control your system.
    I hope this was a less technical and more animated way of describing how HT bypass works.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

4. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Martice,
    Your explanation was pretty good I think, although it's a little confusing when you say that a signal is coming FROM an amp to the preamp, when it is actually the other way around.
    If you don't have a modern stereo preamp (such as my old conrad johnson), another way to combine your music and HT systems is to have the HT processor as a source on one of your stereo pre-amps inputs. Of course this places the volume contol of the stereo preamp into the signal, making it necessary to turn this vol up and then to balance the speaker settings with the HT processor. It's a little cludgey, but it works. Your HT processor would then interface directly to the other amps/speakers for surround etc.
    I'd actually like to do it the other way. I'd like to find a HT processor that has a analog bypass that is high quality enough that I could use my stereo preamp as a "processor". I could then decide if I wanted the "tube" sound, or the additional gain that it would provide. I'm trying to figure out if the soon to be released outlaw 950 will be such a processor....

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Thanks Art. Good catch.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!