Can someone explain eBay PROXY BIDDING to me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I know what proxy means, but how does it apply to eBay bidding and how is it accomplished and is it even ethical?

2. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

From Ebay website:

Here's how it works:

When you place a bid, you enter the maximum amount you'd be willing to pay for the item. Your maximum amount is kept confidential from other bidders and the seller.
    The eBay system compares your bid to those of the other bidders.
    The system places bids on your behalf, using only as much of your bid as is necessary to maintain your high bid position (or to meet the reserve price). The system will bid up to your maximum amount.
    If another bidder has a higher maximum, you'll be outbid. BUT, if no other bidder has a higher maximum, you win the item. And you could pay significantly less than your maximum price

3. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I guess it could be called automated sniping, but I have no problem with it.

4. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I think it's completely OK. In this age of BUY IT NOW on Ebay, I always enter the highest amount I am willing to pay on regular auctions. This way I let the auction ride and I do not have to keep an eye on it.

Personally I never get caught up in the heat of bidding, so proxy bidding works perfectly for me.

5. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

proxy bidding is the default system used by ebay, it's perfectly ethical. all it means is that you enter your minimum bid and your maximum bid.

for example, if you enter a maximum bid of $20.00 for an item currently bid at $12 and $13 is the price that would make you top bidder, it bids you up to $13. If someone else bids $14 as their maximum, then the bid price raises to $14 but you still remain top bidder, as your maximum bid is $20. If someone then comes along and bids $22, then they become top bidder. that's all proxy bidding is.

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I use it and think it's perfectly ethical. It's simply how much are you willing to pay for an item. It's more fair, IMO, than the item going to the person who typed in a bid the second before the auction closes. (Assuming that anything connected with online auctions can be called 'fair', of course...)

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer