can someone explain DLP to me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonKrol, Jun 25, 2002.

1. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

i keep hearing about this new "technology" and Im wondering if anyone can explain it to me..briefly of course. Thanks!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The DLP element is a panel that looks somewhat like a 35mm slide (or maybe a tad larger). It is divided into microscopic pixels, say 720 x 480, or 1280 x 720 each with a tiny mirror. The mirrors physically swing back and forth to aim light from the projection lamp at the screen, or into some absorbing material such as Duvetyne elsewhere in the TV cabinet or projection unit.
    Because the panels are expensive, there is usually just one DLP panel. The mirrors are aligned for red content as a red section of a color wheel is over the panel, the mirrors are re-aligned for green content as a green section of a color wheel is over the panel, etc.
    A few DLP units have three panels, one for red, one for green, and one for blue, and the light beams are recombined using lenses and prisms.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

michael - that link was great. i've been trying to envision how the chip works in my head for ages, but that little flash demo did it perfectly. [​IMG]

5. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Michael: Ditto!