What's new

Can someone educate me on 1080dpi, etc with games (Gamecube)? (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Yeh.. I feel like a schmuckdoosh but mom did in fact do her research and buy a Mitsubishi 65" (WS-A65) for Xmas and I will definitely be ordering component cables. But just how/what can I benefit from, ie: which games can take advantage of such resolutions. And can you explain to me the 1080dpi and all the othre stuff. I don't know my HT Video Game technicals. Can I even play video games fluently (without pausing.. because I know that most likely will burn a hole into set)?
Thanks in advance :) Happy holidays.
-Bert

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Bert, for information about which games support which resolution, check out the Official HD support, 5.1 & 16:9 Game Survey Thread.
There is only one game that currently supports 1080i - Dragon's Lair 3D for the Xbox. There are no Gamecube games that support higher than 480p. I don't know if the GCN is capable of greater than 480p, but I'm sure someone will chime in with that info.
(Also, dpi is "dots per inch", and not typically used to refer to screen resolution. It's actually 1080i, where the "i" refers to interlaced scan. The "p" in 480p/720p refers to progressive scan.)
-Dave

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Oh, thank you. So what is 480p and also, will all the Gamecube games, or at least some be projected nicely and wide (not some ebony stretch)?

Thanks

-Bert

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Sorry, GCN is only 480p capable, so there won't be anything higher than that on it. Also, you'll have to do some checking, as 480p is not standard on GC games, so there are about 50 different screwed up ways to activate it which change from game to game.

I don't like 16X9 so I can't recall which of my games have it.....but I can tell you for sure that

Eternal Darkness is 480p and 16X9

SSBM, Mario Sunshine, Monkey Ball 2, Pikmin, Metroid, and Rouge Leader all have 480p support

Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, and Monkey Ball 1 don't have 480p support.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
480p means that 480 lines of horizontal resolution are always displayed
480i means that 480 lines are displayed every 1/30 of a second. 240 lines of horizontal resolution are displated every 1/60 of a second and the other 240 displayed teh other 1/60 of a second.

apply the same thing, 1080 lines means 540 lines every 1/60 of a second

720p means 720 lines all the time--always displayed

both 720p adn 1080i are Hi def standard displays, the general verdict is out on which is superior, but many people prefer 720p because even if it is technically les horizontal resolution, it's progressive (that's what the p stands for) and has a smoother image (lacking interlaced artifacts like jaggies).

Adam

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Bert;

Others have already answered your questions adequately, so I will not repeat any of what they have said, nor do I have anything to add to those comments.

I just wanted to say that your mother is, without question, the coolest mother in this history of the universe.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, on first boot, all my 480p-capable Cube games prompt me to put it in progressive mode.

You can also manually force the option by holding 'B' as the game loads.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Ha! Thank you all.

Jeffrey, I showed my mom your post. She is dancing around like the midget from The New Guy, psyche... But I did show her and she is "flattered."

Is it safe to play Gamecube on this tv [often]?

Thanks!

-Bert

Edit: Will all gamecube games show up in widescreen, stretched or nicely "wided?" And do I need the component cable off nintendo's site to take advantage of progressive scan?

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Bert, only certain games are made with widescreen option check out the link above it is great for what you need. Others that are not made for widescreen in mind, yes they can be strecthed but they wont look as good,
The only way to get 480p games is to buy the component cables off of the nintendo webiste, I just got mine in 3 days ago and they are excellent, worth the 30 bucks,
enjoy the tv
:D

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Thanks, I just looked at the HD chart. Yikes! I see two different categories such as 480p and 16:9.

So if a game has 480p support, that doesn't neccessarily mean it utilizes widescreen, it would need a "yes" under a 16:9 category, hence 16:9? More simply, so 480p would just mean it looks better and progressive. Can someone elaborate on progressive scan.

Sorry I sound like an idiot when it comes to video game technicalities. I am used to 27" non component. This is a whole other world.

Thanks!

-Bert

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Thank you all very very much. Once I get everything hooked up and figure out what the hell I am gonig to (donate my Klipsch mains and center (my rears will not go) and maybe my reciever to the family room outside my room) I am sure I will have more questions, more out of excitement than real serious chatter.
Well, I understand quite a bit and I really anticipate playing Res Evil 0. Which leads me to ask, can I play Resident Evil 0 for a long time and any other game as I normally would on my TV and is Res Evil [0] 16x9? (I saw Res Evil in the HD chart but couldn't detremine which RE).
Thank you very much.
-Bert

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I had to post this useless msg because it wasn't showing up as though I had posted my post above. Sorry

-Bert

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Which leads me to ask, can I play Resident Evil 0 for a long time and any other game as I normally would on my TV
You shouldn't have any problems as long as you keep the brightness and contrast levels fairly low. I recommend that you purchase a copy of Avia and use it to adjust your set, this will really help to avoid burn in.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Thanks. What sucks for me is I don't order anything online because mom doesn't do transactions of any sort over internet, and she isn't allowed (job shat..). So whenever I do get anything online it has to be "important," ie- speakers. (Other family members help me out)

Maybe I'll come across someone who can help in ordering this online.. Why is it so damn expensive?

-Bert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks