Can someone drop a little knowledge about cell phones...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 20, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I have a brand new Samsung SGH N625 that I'd like to sell on Ebay.

I would hook it up myself but it would need to be unlocked in order for me to use it and that would probably cost about $100 but if I were to go with a plan from a local SP, I could get a brand new phone for free w/ a year unlimited service so I'd rather dump this one and just get connected locally.

I don't know why I bought this phone in the first place, I probably paid close to $400 for it 3 years ago cause it was small and I thought it looked slick but I never did anything with it so I essentially wasted the money.

Anyways, according to Ebay, this model phone is connected to a GSM 900/1900 frequency band.

I know nothing about cell phones other than I want to sell this one, so I have a few questions...

I assume, the reason I needed to get this current cell unlocked in order to get service for it, was because it must already be locked to a network like Cingular or whatever that's exclusive to the States, right?

That would be the only logical reason?

It's been about 3 years so I totally forget everything about this phone.

I just want to make sure that whoever buys it through Ebay, will be able to connect and use it without any problems so I need to verify.

I'd also like to know about the frequency bands because I have absolutely no idea what this means... obviously it refers to the area of coverage that the phone will function but I plugged this into Google and wasn't able to come up with anything for the specific geographic regions for this phone.

I just want to be sure that whatever details I put in the listing are accurate so that I don't sound like a jackass and don't screw anyone over.

Can anyone that knows anything about phones verify how I can check whether or not my cell phone is locked onto an SP and which one, and how I can confirm what regions this phone will function so that I dont end up selling it to some dude in Alaska who cant use it...

GSM 900/1900 band should cover the entire United States, right?

Anyways, if anyone can offer a little insight it'd be appreciated.

And if anyone wants a brand new cell phone that I paid $400 US for and never even turned on... I'll send it to you for $70 US w/ the instruction manual, charger and car adapter. It's a pretty good looking phone.

I'd even be willing to accept a few (3-4) DVD's in exchange for it! [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Is it possible that this phone could be unlocked exclusively within the U.S. but over here I'd need to unlock the phone and than get a SIM card through a local SP??

Does that make sense, can a cell phone be unlocked in the US but not Canada?

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

Where did you buy the phone from? If you bought it directly from your SP, then it's locked to that company. If you bought it from eBay or some vendor, then most likely, it is unlocked. There's no way to tell unless you try it out with a SIM card.

And unlocking is >$100 only through your SP. Go to China town and they'll unlock it for $20.

If that Samsung phone uses 900/1900, then it'll work in most places around the world, just not get the best reception. North America does not use 900MHz because that is reserved for the military.

If you're looking for a new phone, then you MUST get a phone with 850MHz. Rogers/Fido use 850/1900. I recommend 850, b/c that's the future of Rogers. Think of 1900 travelling in big waves from cell phone to tower and tower to caller/receiver. 850 travels in smaller waves, so reception is A LOT better. Some people even think I'm calling from a landline phone.

You can save yourself eBay fees if you post it over at www.howardforums.com

There's quite a few people in the Montreal/Ottawa area, so you may not even have to ship it out.

Once a phone is unlocked, you can use it anywhere. It just depends if the SP supports the frequencies.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks so much James!

I did buy it through Ebay originally and I bought it out of the box so I imagine that the phone must be unlocked.

I was however, unable to get service through any local networks because I believe the phone was only unlocked to networks in the U.S. meaning any U.S. buyer would simply need to go out and purchase a Cingular or T-Mobile SIM card and activate the phone... however I was unable to simply go to a Rogers, AT&T or Fido dealership and connect the phone for whatever reason. I guess that means that it needed to be unlocked for use in Canada?

That confuses me.

I've heard about getting the phone unlocked in Chinatown also but I've heard that they can screw up your phone... I don't know how much truth there is to that?

At this point, it just doesn't even make sense for me to keep the phone because even though I paid ~ $400 for it a couple years ago, it's an outdated model and if I were to get connected through a local SP... I could probably get a FREE phone through my service plan along with unlimited minutes so to unlock it now and than get it hooked up is pointless. It would cost more, and I could get a newer phone for free.

Thanks for the link to the forum btw, it's too late though... I've already listed the cell on Ebay; oh well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

I still don't really understand the SP locking situation. I bought it on Ebay, came brand new in box... it shouldn't have been attached to any network if that being the case than. But I needed to get it unlocked for it to work with a SIM card from any local SP's... why is that?

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

It sounds like someone sold you a locked phone to a company that person didn't disclose. Like I said in my previous post, if it's unlocked, it'll work anywhere provided that the SP supports the frequencies.

There's plenty of reasons for it to be brand new but still locked to a company. An example could be a person walking into a store that sells those phones(I'm not counting China town) and tells the clerk "I want to buy this phone straight up". The clerk won't ask any questions, just ring up the sale.
    Another example is a person(and a most likely case) would be a person getting the phone brand new on an upgrade, to take advantage of the super low price, and realize that they could make a lot of money off the phone, then sell it on eBay. I know of some people that do that to make a quick hundred or two.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks a lot James,

the phone was actually in my car all morning but looking over it now, I see Cingular engraved in small print on the bottom front. I guess that solves it, right?

Thanks!