What's new

Can someone do the math on Denon inputs (1 Viewer)

Carson E

Agent
Denon 3802 has 5 A/V inputs plus 3 opt & 1 coax.

Does this mean that 9 video sources can be input.

For instance can you assign a DVD to opt.1 and use the DVD analog inputs for say an extra satellite input?

I currently have 6 components that require A/V inputs (which my current Receiver has) and may soon add another or two. So I need the inputs.

Why manufactures have reduced the amount of inputs over the past years with all the new components out and coming soon is a mystery to me. (cut cost somewhere else)

But anyway, if anyone could help with the above question I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I think so??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe, sometimes on rare occasions. I went through the menu and there seemed to be a selection for each input on the back. To be safe , don't use any input you don't have a menu section on the front panel when you rotate the knob.

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Carson,
Sorry, that is NOT possible... :frowning: Basically you have the 5 A/V inputs and you decide if the AUDIO is going to be ANALOG or DIGITAL (OPT or COAX) cherry pick from menu...
Example: DVD setup as DIGITAL (Optical)
When you select the DVD as a source, the receiver expects to get an Optical signal from DVD, the ANALOG input that corresponds to the DVD input are still active for that source...
-Alex

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I had a question in a similar vein. I know the Denon has a memory 'feature' that will remember your settings for a particular source. I want to have different default settings for CD's (music) vs. DVD's (movies). However, my DVD player IS my CD player as well. If I go into the input configuration and try to set both CD and DVD to Optical 1, the Denon will only accept the setting for one input; it forces the other to Coaxial.

Is it possible to do this? I have an AVR-2802.

Rich

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
There is a way. You need to hook up two sets of cables from your dvd/cd player to your denon inputs. Run an optical and digital coax/rca to two separate inputs on your rcvr. I'm doing that right now. Works great and the denon remembers each input.:D

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Gotcha. Hadn't thought about that! I'll have to check my DVD player, but I'm assuming it has at least 2-channel RCA outputs in additional to the optical out.

Rich

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Works like a charm! Thanks for the tip!!

I am curious though. I have a Denon DVD-3000, which has 5.1 outputs plus a stereo "mixed" output. I'm currently running coax to the Left/Right main, not Mixed. I'm assuming this would be the preferred method, so that I can let DPL2 handle any mixing, not the DVD player.

Rich

Carson E

Agent
Hey guys, I really appreciate your help.

Looks like I'm stuck. I thought a guy told me he used the Dig. Opt. 1 for his DVD and the analog for his CD player. Using the menu and switching from Digital to Analog let him use the 1 input for both. He must have been wrong.

Well...what to do. I was interested in the Denon 3802 and cant afford the 4802 so maybe some kind of switcher will work. (?)

Again to the manufactures...If you want us to buy the new products, we have to have the inputs for them!

What happens when SACD, DVD-A, CD-R start using video inputs for on screen setup etc.?

Again thanks everyone.

Carson...

Parsh Patel

Auditioning
Carson,

I have an older Denon 2700 and I have connected my CD recorder analog inputs (L/R) to the DVD input analogs and have the DVD connected to the digital input. When I want to listen to the recroder I switch to DVD and switch to the analog inputs. I don't have to use the menu, by the way, to switch from analog to digital....there's a switch on the receiver and on the remote. I'm surprised that the 3802 won't let you do the same thing.

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
i have a 2700 and what parash says is right and should apply to the newer models. when you select an input with an assigned digital input, it uses either digital OR analog, but not both at the same time. You can hit the input or digital/analog button to switch between analog and digital.

the problem comes in when you have more than 5 A/V devices that each need a video input to the receiver. in that case, the limiting factor becomes the number of video inputs.

Carson E

Agent
Parsh, Mike... Thanks for the input. I've got a friend w/ the 3801. Think I'll go over and see if he will let me play around with it and check out your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Carson...

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I use different/separate equipment inputs for my set up so it will save all my settings. I don't know if it will save different settings for the same set of equipment inputs and just switch between cable input types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks