Can someone direct me towards the best Star Wars Laserdisc review?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Becker, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I'm talking about Epidsodes 4-6 on Laserdisc. Does anyone know where I can find a nice review of these?

Thanks.

Dan.b

2. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

3. Phil Dally

Phil Dally Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, they all say it sucked. [​IMG] Sorry, couldn't resist.

4. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

FYI, there are several versions of the Original Trilogy on LD, which are addressed in multiple threads, just search for 'em. Quick rundown: For 5.1, get the Special Editions, but Greedo shoots first[​IMG]; for convenience and no gimmickry, THX Faces versions; for all three in a cool case, a book on Lucasfilm, and commentary, Definitive Collection.
    Personally, I have the Definitive Collection, for which I paid the princely sum of $85 incl shipping on eBay. It was worth it, even for 9(!) discs and Pro-Logic sound. If you can find a good set of any of the three above at a good price, go for it. Depending on your receiver, the PCM Pro-Logic tracks will sound as good if not better than the 5.1 on the SE discs. May the force be with you[​IMG].

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I have two sets of the "faces" trilogy and one of the special edition box set. The "faces" version are the original versions, and the special edition box set are the of course the special editions from 1997. For sound, I much prefer the PCM on the faces trilogy using Prologic 2 over the Dolby Digital on the special edition. However, the video on the special edition is way better than on the faces trilogy. Unfortunatly, the special edition has all the new scenes which I think hurt the movies. My advice would be to go for the "Faces" versions of the original trilogy. The Definitive Collection boxset is also good but there have been several instances of laser rot reported with those sets.

6. AdrianOC

AdrianOC Stunt Coordinator

Being a complete Star Wars nut, I decided to buy something no one I knew would have here in Ireland - the Definitive collection.

Well I got it and then decided I might as well get a laserdisc player to watch them, so I did.

Then I figured I might as well see & hear them in 5.1, so I got the special edition trilogy. Still pissed off that they're slightly cropped (see the scene where the droids are outside the cantina and are watching a stormtrooper dismount from a dewback - in the theater you saw him dismount, on the ld and vhs, he's jumping off the side of the screen).

Then I realised I'd need to get a demod, so I did.

I have to say that I'm quite happy with my purchases - all got from the same seller in Canada who was a pleasure to deal with - he rang me from Canada to ask me if my TV was ntsc compatible as thats what the lds and player were, so he just wanted to warn me before I moight have gone and bought something I couldn't use.

So my ld collection is :
    SW : The Definitive Collection
    SW : Special Edition Trilogy
    Jurassic Park DD (came as a gift with the player).

7. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

8. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

D'oh! I forgot about Patrick's list. It really helped me out when I was looking around on eBay. RachelB should have a link to it in the LaserDisc FAQ thread, if she already doesn't.

If you're on a Lucasfilm kick, try looking around for the widescreen releases of the Indiana Jones trilogy, too. Even in Pro-Logic, the theme music will stir your heart.

9. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Patrick's site is awesome, and a valuable resource. Brings back lots of memories!

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

While rarely talked about, there is considerable differences in quality between some of the pressings of the "Faces" sets. Notably, the Kurary (japanese) pressings of the Faces THX discs have substantially less dropouts, crosstalk, and noise than the Pioneer LDCA (USA) pressings.

Since they are both made from identical masters, this is clearly an example of how manufacturing quality can affect an analog medium like laserdisc.

BTW, to identify the differences, just look at the bottom center of the back of the LD jacket. If it says Made in USA, it's the Pioneer pressing. If it says, "Discs Manufactured in Japan, Jacket Printed in USA" then it's the Kurary pressing.

As far as I know, all pressings of the CAV Definitive set were done at Mitsubishi. The first pressing run had the famous THX rolling noise bars and 6 seconds missing from Empire, the second pressing corrected the missing time but still had the rolling bars, and the third and subsequent pressings had all errors corrected. The first pressing was also prone to rot. Sadly, there's no way to identify these different pressings by sight, you have to spin them up in the player to find out what you have.

-Lyle J.P.

11. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Jonathan: I've adjusted the last VHS re-releases to show that the "Special Edition" moniker was dropped (thanks for pointing it out!)

If anyone can help me with the original retail prices, I'll add those in as well.

12. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Patrick,

Your timeline is excellent, but you are missing six laserdisc releases; specifically the Fox Video releases. In late 1992 and early 1993, Fox Video (no longer CBS/FOX Home Video) began quietly re-releasing much of their laserdisc product with their new logos and a few enhancements.

The three pan and scan discs were re-released, only they now sported new PCM digital audio tracks and good number of chapter stops (Eps 4 and 5 were still one disc and time compressed). The three letterboxed discs were also re-released, this time with more extensive chapter stops and an improved PCM track for Empire (the first was way too low).

The transfers on all six discs were the same as previous efforts, but manufacturing quality had improved some. On A New Hope (both), the CBS/FOX logo was replaced with the new Fox Video logo. On the other two films, the CBS/FOX logo now shared space next to the new Fox Video logo.

-Lyle J.P.

13. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

14. AdrianOC

AdrianOC Stunt Coordinator

15. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I remember my Jaws THX CAV box also exhibiting the rolling bars problem: a very slightly lighter bar of image, about a third the height of the screen, would slowly crawl up the image. Hard to notice if you weren't looking for it.