What's new

Can someone compare and contrast sound quality of Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon? (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I think they are all considered good quality. If you mean how they sound I think it would go in this order from brightest to warmest
Yamaha
Onkyo
Denon
I have not been receiver shopping in years now but I have always liked the Onkyo sound. I think that all three of them will make you happy so it really depends on what kind of sound you prefer.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned all three brands:

Yamaha 596 - brightest of the bunch, but also the cheapest! The newer mid range receivers may be different. Good to very good for movies, just OK for music.

Integra 7.2 (Onkyo 797) - neutral to slightly bright. The best for movies! Good for Music.

Denon 3802 - The amps in direct mode were wonderful for music! But in my opinion, the sound was quite dull when using a digital source. Movies sounded like they were missing a good amount of the upper end. I also had a good amount of hiss in my Paradigm monitor speakers. Great for music, just OK for movies.

So if you are more into music go for the Denon, more into movies the Onkyo.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I'd say the new Yammies are less bright then the old ones. I compared the new RX-V1200 to the Denon 2802 and I was surprised to see that the 1200 was warmer then the 2802.

Low-end yamahas might be brighter, can't say, but the 1200 and up models seem to be warmer. So comparing the rx-v596 (a lower end model from a couple years ago) to the 3802 isn't really a good comparison. I'd compare the 3802 with the new rx-v2200.

The problem with describing the sound of a manufacturer is that not all receivers from their line sound the same so it's hard to describe all their models and compare them with another manufacturer. If you were more specific with a model number or price point perhaps. The best of course is to simply listen to them at the store.

- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks