Can Somebody Recommend a good Chess game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Evan S, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'm trying to get into learning Chess. At 32, I'm sort of late to the game, but I am going to buy a board for my coffee table in my living room and would love to play company when I have friends over.

So, I would like to get into a Chess video game for practice. There is no offering for the XBox that I know of yet and my PC runs Windows XP so I think Chessmaster 9000 is the only one I can run on an XP machine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this title and are there any other offerings out there that I am overlooking? Are they planning to bring a chess title to the XBox? I would probably like to go that route if they were.

Thanks

2. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

3. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

I just got this game in a trade:

http://www.hoylegames.com/majestic_chess.jsp

Majestic Chess is interesting so far. I'm also trying to learn Chess in general as I go, and currently am struggling. The neat feature about Majestic Chess is its adventure mode. You perform quests and solve chess puzzles while learning strategy. As you go, you slowly assemble a chess set and have mini-battles per chapter. I'm not sure how much you learn, but I'm hoping stuff like openings, mid-game, etc. Its holding my interest so far.

I've been tempted by Chessmaster 9000 too, as it looks like it has a great variety of tutorials and help modes. Fritz is another game that has some good stuff to I've read, and maybe the best chess engine (not that I will ever be that good [​IMG] ).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...games&n=507846

4. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I own a version of Chessmaster a couple generations older than 9000. It is a wonderful program for beginners to advanced players that gives you a lot of mileage for your money. Chessmaster can teach you how to play the game and offers many opponents of differing levels to practice against. You can have quick informal games or tournament play as well as play online. Throughout learning and playing, you get voice feedback/narration.

Additionally, Chessmaster has sections on improving your game and tutorials by chess-prodigy Josh Waitzkin (the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer was based on the book of the same title that documented Josh's ascent to win his first national championship).

Chessmaster has all this to offer and much more.

(By the way, the large variety of chess sets offered are beautiful!)

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

I think I had the first version of Chessmaster somewhere. I also had BattleChess. Battlechess was fun watching chess pieces duke it out.

Now, I just play on www.zone.com. It's free and you're playing against real people who can probably help you better than AI