What's new

Can somebody recommend a good cheap power conditioner? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
First off I have a couple questions:
1. Do you guys highly recommend getting one?
2. I have a surge protector, will the power conditioner take its place?
3. Can you recommend a good and effective inexpensive power conditioner.
Thanks...

Greg S

Supporting Actor
I've being seeing a lot of positive PR on the Monster Power HTS-2000 model which can be had for around for $125.
This may be what I end up with since I am not completely sold on power conditioners yet.
Greg

Steve_D

Second Unit
The HTS-2000 is decent for what it is, a ~$140 12 outlet surge protector with EMI/RFI filters. I have one in my system and have not noticed much audio difference if any...however my HT is one its own cirsuit not sharing with any of the typical "noisy" devices like fans, fluorescent light, etc...and it was previosly hooked into a decent metal surge protector with RFI/EMI filter purchased at Home Depot for around $40.
Video did change slightly for the better...blacker blacks.
I will probably go with a Tice, Van Evers, or Richard Gray sometime in the future. Van Evers does offer a 6 outlet baisc surge/filter strip for $30.
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Steve_D on July 13, 2001 at 10:38 AM]

Dan Woodworth

Auditioning
How about the models offered by Rotel and Adcom? Both have filtration and surge protection and can be had for less than $200. I have the Monster Power strip but am thinking about buying the Rotel RLC 900 so that I can get 12V switching to remotely contol my power amp as it doesn't have a remote on/off.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Based on the recommendation from quite a few very knowledgable people, I went with the Monster HTS2500. It's just a little more than the HTS2000. I got mine brand new off eBay for $169 last month. I've heard the HTS3500 and HTS5000 are basically the same as the 2500 except they include analog power meter(s). I'm very happy with mine. I've heard good things about the 2000. The HTS2500 looks more like a compnent as opposed to the HTS2000 which looks more like just a power strip if that makes a differenc to you. It did for me. Performance wise, I'd consider either as a intermediate level introduction to conditioning for those that don't want to speed thousands but want something a little better than those $9.99 jobbers at the local super computer store.
Does it make may system sound better? To be honest, I never really tried to determine if it did or not. I knew I needed some kind of protection so I might as well get a good one and I new a little conditioning couldn't hurt either so......
------------------
"Hand over the remote and nobody gets hurt !!"

Steve_D

Second Unit
Specs wise and internally, the 2500 is much closer to the 2000 than the 3500, but it does look like the others. The 3500 and 5000 are pretty close to the same, save a few outlets and 1 more stage in the filtering.
------------------
Link Removed

james e m

Second Unit
But do any of you recommend spending the money on one?
james
------------------
When in doubt...Rock it out.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! I recommend spending the $$ on one. I love my Monster Power HTS-5000. Great product.
Sam`

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
the 3500 & 5000 are the only 2 that have at least one non- current limiting receptacle, and that could be a huge differance if your receiver or amps pull real juice
------------------
Matt says "if you have received good service from a salesman,if he has educated you as to what you should buy, buy from him! not from the internet!"

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I use the Monster 2500 rack version in the stereo rack and the 2000 power strip behind the TV for the Sub Woofer and TV. These power centers do an awesome job for the money. I purchased them new for half of retail on Ebay. They clean up my TV's picture. I thought DirecTV was starting to look really bad over the years but as it turns out I was getting a lot of power interference. It also removed some hiss from my amp because it helped me detect a bad ground loop in my power.
------------------
Goto www.erols.com/rmahle to see my theater

Thomas B

Agent
I purchased a Monster Power Center HTS1000 a few weeks ago. To be honest, I really can't see any difference in the picture quality or audio from my system. However, I needed protection through my wall outlets, FM antenna, and cable outlets. (I didn't have all of these options with my old surge protector, and I lost one smaller TV in my home a few weeks ago by a power surge through the cable TV line.) Since I wanted all of these types of protection, I thought a line conditioner wouldn't be a bad idea for a reasonable price. I purchased this item for $99 from Global World, and if protects my system, then it will be worth that price. If not, then it does have a guarantee on payment of any damages done on my system.

Thomas B

Agent
DUH! Make that statement that I bought the Monster HTS1000 from Global MART, not Global World.
rolleyes.gif

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
What condition would you like your power to be in after it gets through the power conditioner. Easy to manage. Clean, silky? Perhaps you'd rather have a different voltage. 120V is so--well--declasse.
------------------
Norm Strong ([email protected])

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
James,
Just bought the Monster Power HTS2000 and it made a noticable difference in picture and sound. I never realized how dirty the power was coming into the house and how much I was starving my receiver of power. One of my old power strips would trip my TV on occasion during intense audio scenes b/c my receiver would pull too much from the other power strip. All that is fixed.
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I just got the 3500 on e-bay for $235.00. They had 10 up for auction and only 3 sold so they may do another auction.
Later
Jim
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks