Can separates beat Kenwood HTB-504 in same price range?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AvinashM, Dec 21, 2001.

1. AvinashM

AvinashM Auditioning

hi

i am eyeing the Kenwood HTB-504 home theatre in a

box system for $399. good reviews in consumer reports and

other places. the subject says it all, can i get a better

system in this price range by buying separates ?

here is what this system has:

kenwood VR-507 receiver/amp

(100W x 5)

kenwood 100W active/powered subwoofer

2 bookshelf speakers (front L and R)

1 center

2 surrounds

thanks,

Avinash.

2. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

I would say it would be impossible just because of the bargain that this package offers. It was named best bang for the buck in 2000 (In the GLOSSY Stereophile mag, dont recall the name, the same issue contains a review of the Bullitt mustang, and talks about the Bullitt DVD if anyone recalls this issue) when it was the HTB-503. DPLII, DTS, Dolby Digital, 5 speakers, AND a sub, for $399 that is TOUGH to beat.

3. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the Kenwood VR507 in NOvember. I paid $235.00 for it on the interent. So this means you would have to buy everything else for $164.00. Not going to find that anywhere. It won't be the best system in town by any means, but it may likely be the best system in town for $399. BTW, I love the receiver.[​IMG]

4. AvinashM

AvinashM Auditioning

thanks for the comments... is the reciver in this package

the VR-507 good enough so that i can later upgrade the

speakers and sub ?

this is for later, when the upgrade-bug

that i hear so often on this forun bites :)

5. Kelly N

Kelly N Agent

The receiver and sub in this package are both great stuff for the price. The receiver has 5.1 channel inputs for upgrading and DD, DTS, and DPLII and adequate power for most circumstances. The sub really is an impressive performer as well. The rest of the speakers could easily be improved on in the future. Perhaps an Energy Take 5.2 set up + the original Kenwood sub for additional woof.

6. ScottHannen

ScottHannen Extra

I have the HTB-503, the model before the 504. A few hours ago I played the scene in Independence Day where all the buildings blow up, and I turned it up louder than I would ever normally listen to it just to see how it sounded. It holds up pretty well.

I eventually decided to order new JBL speakers, but at least I have a reasonably good receiver and subwoofer for my small living room.

Half the fun of owning a home theater is having your friends come over and "ooh and ahh" over the sound. Unless they are way more into home theater than you are, you'll get your bank for your buck from the 504.