Can Scaled Non-Anamorphic+DPLII=16x9+5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Kindly pardon me if my terminology ain't up to snuff (I'm not certain that "scaled" is the correct term in this case; I'm referring to a player's ability to display a letter-boxed, non-anamorphic disc on a wide-screen set without side bars, and without stretch-mode trickery. I believe the RP91 and Tosh's 4700 do this, correct?). My question, then, is whether a presentation, with the picture "scaled" in this fashion, and the soundtrack (non-5.1) processed through DPLII (the old version of Tombstone is a perfect example) can possibly approach the quality of an anamorphically-encoded, DD 5.1 disc? Seems to me this might help us avoid upgrading discs left and right, 'less of course all the swell new extras are really your bag. On a side note, has anyone given any of the X-Files episode discs a listen through DPLII? Comments or opinions, anyone? Cheers!

DS.

2. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Surely someone has an opinion on this? Or am I just really confused? Cheers!

DS.

3. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

I can't comment on DPLII (and I'd also love to hear how X-files episodes sound using DPLII), but my DVD player (JVC FA90BK) does scale correctly-flagged nonanamorphic movies. I do think the player does a pretty good job with scaling certain NA titles that have good transfers (The Abyss, Predator, X-Files, The Thing, etc.), there's still a pretty noticeable difference compared to anamorphic discs. And when a NA disc has a poor transfer to start with, there's really not a whole lot that can be done to help it in my opinion. Then again, the Panasonic RP91 and the new Toshibas may do a better job of scaling NA discs than my JVC, but I don't know. I have the original releases (nonanamorphic) of Predator and X-Files: Fight the Future as well as the later releases which are anamorphic and DTS. The NA versions are flagged correctly so they auto-scale with my DVD player, but they still can't compare to the new anamorphic versions for picture clarity, though they're not bad...but I think most people will notice quite a bit of a difference in my opinion. I personally think the difference IS enough to upgrade to the newer versions, provided of course that I'm a fan of the movie in the first place.

Anyway, those are great questions, and I hope to read some other examples where people compare the scaled nonanamorphic disc to its anamorphic counterpart.

4. Andriy Zolotoiy

They look very good on RP-91

5. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

It really depends on the transfer. I have non-anamorphic DVD's that look better scaled by my PR-91 than some anamorphic transfers. But a good anamorphic transfer will beat a non-anamorphic transfer every time.

Same pretty much goes for the audio. There are some really crappy 5.1 mixes out there that will never sound as good as DPL II. But a really nice 5.1 is hard to be.