Can Replay or Tivo record HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Cald****, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Jason Cald****

Jason Cald**** Stunt Coordinator

Neither have component ins right?

I just got HD Cable today and i really wanted to pick up a replay, but now i have the HD cable i am not sure if i should wait for something that might do this? Anyone know how long until there is something out that will record HD if there is not a option out right now?

Thanks

2. liana

liana Agent

it/they cannot. not sure when one is expected.

3. Jason Cald****

Ok many thanks.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

You're going to need a very large disk storage, around 300 GB to record 4 hours of HD content.

5. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

The new Dish PVR921 with HD won an Innovations award at CES (award winners are announced in advance). We'll know more next week at CES. Here's the blurb on it:

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

While the Dish HD recorder is great, it's tied to the Dish satelite service. I dont believe it will take your cable HD feed and record it.
    I believe the new DVHS (Digital VHS) will record HD material onto tapes. Before the flame throwers come out against tape, listen: The data is recorded DIGITALLY onto the tape. This means the playback is bit-for-bit identical to what was recorded. Unlike analog tape, the 100'th playing will look identical to the first until the tape is physically damaged by the machine or poor handling/storage.
    I've seen the DVHS unit at Best Buy for ~$700 a few months ago so they are likely cheaper now.
    BUT (and this could be a big BUT): you have to feed the DVHS unit with an ILink cable.
    See if your CATV HD box is compatible. Here is a Crutchfield link to a DVHS unit.

7. Jason Cald****

Thanks, i picked up a 5080 for the meantime, i figure worst case scenario i can resell it later or move it to my bedroom. I had the itch for a PVR for awhile.

8. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Patrick, 300GB for four (4) hours of HD? That's 75GB for hour! That would mean the bit-rate is something like 166 Megabits per second, or something like 5.9 times greater than the maximum bit-rate (highest quality) of JVC's D-Theater D-VHS system, which is currently the best platform, unfortunately, for pre-recorded HD content (movies)!

So, please tell where you came up with that figure!

9. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

When I want to record a HD program with the best possible picture, I just change the HD receiver to 480i output and the ReplayTV (or VCR for that matter) will record it in widescreen. It actually looks quite good (a LOT better than cable), but the Replay can't change the channels of my HD receiver like it does for the cable box.

Tim

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Unless its 480P then it doesn't even qualify for ATSC. And when most people are talking about watching/recording hi-def they are talking about 1080i or 720P. There currently are no officially sanctioned methods for timeshifting HDTV programming from DBS/Cable providers that allow for native 720P or 1080i playback.

Whether or not DISH Networks comes through with a HD-PVR solution is not really relevant as their subscribers have been asking for this kind of solution for almost two years, now. There is a lot more bureaucracy (Hollywood politics) than consumer will-power that will prevent a clean, effective, and affordable solution from reaching the market--it ain't technology.

Remember folks, Hollywood wants to see you in the mall cinema houses and not buying permanent content. They have fought every recordable technology to come down the line and this is just another example. They accepted D-Theater, but then again they fully acknowledged the case in which the likelihood of someone willing to 'dump' that HD content (and at a snail's pace) to HD for burning to another media just wasn't going to happen.

Not saying that a HD-recordable technology will not present itself, but its not coming as soon as we like (that would have been two years ago) and it will undoubtedly be in a low bit-rate that they can still advertise as HD.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

In another thread, I stated I got my bits and bytes mixed up (I thought DVHS recorded at 19MB/sec when it was 19Mbps), so divide my numbers by 8 and we're back to talking the same thing. Mea culpa. I'm glad I was mistaken because it does mean that HD recordability is a viable endeavor for PVRs.

12. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Oh, its viable alright and the technology is the least of our problems. Its those greedy pig-headed individuals in Greedywood (and in the music industry) that have been bribing (ok, making donations to everyone's political agendas, hehe) politicians to delay, if not destroy, new technologies.

One could have easily taken an old LD player, changed the laser/processor accordingly, made the recording MPEG-2 (digital, instead of analog, which is the case for LD), and had an in-home solution for playing HD-LD and DVD's for true backwards compatability. This could have been a fair interim solution while waiting for the violet-laser for HD-DVD to come forward and return to the 12cm solution.

13. Michael St. Clair

14. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Doh! [​IMG]
    I thought that the ATSC picked up starting with 480P 4:3 and not 480i 4:3, which is where NTSC stops. My bad.
    Still, for some, HD-Cable is not really an option. I will have to see my cable provider sold again to someone that isn't robbing the company blind and actually wants to get into the 21st century. [​IMG]

15. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't trying to imply that Replay can record HD in HD format. I just wanted to state that if there's programming in HD that you want to timeshift in better quality than cable or DBS, Replay can do it.

Last night, I recorded the last hour of the Enron "movie" so my wife and I could go out to the hot tub and see the rest of the movie when we came back in. All I had to do was switch the HD receiver's output to 480i and set the Replay to record it. We were able to view the rest of the movie in widescreen format and the quality of the picture FAR surpassed that of the FOX widescreen NFL games.

No, it's not HD, but I know of no better or cost-effective way to record HD programming to a hard disk at this point in time.

Tim

16. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

"The VCR is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston Strangler is to the woman alone."
    Jack Valenti, MPAA

I wonder what Jack Valenti would think about HD time shifting.

17. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Jack Valenti, the failed actor that he is, would rather see it illegal for anyone, except the studios, to own a copy of a movie and force everyone to see 10, 20, even 50 year old movies in the mall cinema houses. He is what Hilary Rosen is to the RIAA and recording industry. And I don't mean that in a nice way. [​IMG]

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Broadcast HD is roughly 19.2 Mbps Or 86.4GB/hour

DVHS is at 28+Mbps(129GB/Hour), as Fox reps have said, they want HD-DVD to at least equal that quality. Given that to be really useful, a PVR has to do at least 20 hours that means about 1.7TBs, or approx 12 of the biggest HDs available at the moment (which at current market prices would run in the neighborhood of $3000 for the drives alone)

19. Michael St. Clair

Um, broadcast HD is more like 9 gigs an hour, not 90 gigs an hour. Maybe you are calculating gigabits instead of gigabytes. [​IMG]
    Look for the first cable/sat HD PVRs to hold around 8 hours of HD and/or 50 hours of SD, in whatever combination you choose to record.
    In homes in 2003.

20. Michael St. Clair

dupe