Can rears be to far away?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Allen Marshall, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Recently i moved my rears back from 6ft to 15ft on the back walls, i felt if i moved it back it'd add more depth and sound better but im not sure, is 15ft to far away? Another question, i wouldnt mind putting a speaker in the middle to fill up the gap for 6.1 butttt since the opening into the room is in the back in the middle which leads to the kitchen it would have to be on the other end of the table. The same table the rear right bookshelf (if your facing the tv) is on. This would make the rear center about 6 to 7ft away from the rear right and about 10 ft away from the rear left, is that a bad idea?

2. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Did you adjust the distance settings in your receiver. That will make a big difference. Otherwise, the sound from the rears will not be hitting you at the right time.

As for placement. You have probably read this before, but go to Radio Shack and spend the $40 or $50 for the SPL meter and follow the directions in the box, or go the the HT Basics guide in this forum. It is worth it. I just did it yesterday and it really helps.

Of course, now I want some new speakers.[​IMG]

3. Robert*S

Robert*S Stunt Coordinator

Allen,
    A proper 6.1 setup consists of three main speakers up front, two side surrounds and a rear surround (or two for 7.1).

You seem to want to put the rear surround in between the side surrounds on the back wall. If you can, put the side surrounds to the side and 2-3 feet above your listening area and the back surround behind you and approx. the same height. Check Dolby's website for more info on speaker placement or do a search.

Also go and get a calibration disc (S&V, Avia, DVE) and a radio shack SPL meter. 15 feet is not too far back for speakers, my rear surrounds are 11 feet behind me and they sound great. Remember, calibrate, calibrate, calibrate. [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

4. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

The side surrounds really have to be on the sides? thats how the picture looks on the dobly site even for 5.1 but it always seemed like it sounded better to me when they were behind me instead of beside me just alittle behind. I just figured i'd make two straight lines, the left, center and right is the first line and the same exact thing with the rears just spread out more then the front. My couch and chair are both close up against the wall so i have no room to put them on the sides of us unless i attacked the bookshelves to the walls.

But then they right bookshelf would be hovering over the far seat of the couch and the other bookshelf...well hovering right over the lazy boy. I have no stands for my bookshelves nor have any room for stands cause there's a table along the wall i had my right rear on and it was at the end close to the couch. My left rear was at the end of the table running along its wall. The problem there was they were so damn close to the huge area there supposed to cover i wasnt gettin any of that left speaker to my ear. Keeping inmind they werent facing each other, they were toed in just alittle tiny bit to try and create a sweet spot of my couch. So then i had an idea, got longer speaker wire, then moved both rears back. I moved the right rear off the long table it was on and on the far right side of the long table up against the far wall. At the end of this long table up against the far wall is like the 8-9ft opening which leads to the kitchen. So now the right rear is in the far right corner as far as it will go, turning the whole room into a sound field, and the left one is at the end of the table running along the wall on its side. Now i have certain limits to what i can do with this room and my family has been pretty leniant as it is so gettin the tables out of there and finding some place (most likely nowhere but the basement) to put them was out of the question.

So stands were no option, instead i just took some huge books out of the tables which all had bookshelves in them. Pretty much all cook books, BIG! So i staked a couple on top of each other and put my rears ontop of them and there we go, they were raised high enough so i could hear them over the back of the couch if i was slouched and so my brother could hear them period when he sits in his lazy boy. So the table that the right rear is on is long enough for me to put my first home theater center speaker on the opposite side right next to the opening of the kitchen. I just put some books on there today to raise it and it's hanging off the side a couple of itches to put it more in the middle instead of closer to the right then the left.

Like if i wanted a 7.1, or a 6.1 like you suggested, i could put my rears (or side surrounds as there supposed to be called in a 6.1 or higher system?) and put them back on the table they were before and face them inward completely just like the dolby pictures, then have that center speaker (which is a $50-$75 center speaker) all alone back there on that far table. I try to imagine what it would look like but it just doesnt seem to me like it would sound right. Is the rear center supposed to be farther back there like that.

I always looked at 6.1 as filling the gap inbetween but now you describe it as just, having sides and one rear in the middle? I dont have bipole..or dipole or what the heck those things are called so the sound from the side bookshelves wouldnt spread out. So what do i do?

The closet i can get those sides is, i can get the rear right (if your facing the tv) about 2 1/2 feet behind the couch on the right side and face it inward completely , or face it inward completely then toe it in a tad? I can get the left that close to but i'd have to raise it with the books again so the speaker doesnt hit the back of the lazy boy. There's no gaps on the side walls or anything the only way into the room is between the lazy boy and the couch. We have another couch along the wall farther into the room past the lazy boy (chair). But since what i can do with my home theater in this room is limited, that's the worst spot you can sit for surround sound so only people that dont care sit there when we watch movies.

In this room particulary, 7.1 wouldnt work. The pictures on the dolby site show the rears in 7.1 more centered in the middle then they would be in 5.1, but i wouldnt have anywhere to put the rear left except right in the middle of nowhere and thats not gonna fly. When i get my old home theater room back i can get 7.1 even though my old home theater room is like...15x20 and this room is 20x30. Unless you can run 7.1 with sides facing inward, then the rears in the far corners aligned with the sides infront of them just tilted inward alittle bit to center the sound at a certain area in the room.

So what should i do, i really do want 6.1 in whatever way i can take it cause my reciever allows it, even the center speaker im using for the 6th channel is out of the other speakers' leagues.

NOTE:

I realize im terrible at writing.
    I say "cause" alot.
    I say "even thought" alot.
    I blabber.

P.S. Lazy boy is like 2-3 feet farther away then the couch i sit on and is on an angle. Ultimately the tv is basically angled general towards his chair but still good view from both couches. He's chair is so far out there on the left (if you face the tv) that he's basically faced the fact that it's gonna sound like he's on the left side of the movie to.