Can rain damage speakers (Through an open window)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I have 4 Titans (v3's in front, v2's in back) and my front left is near a window. Because it was hot like hell for the last couple of days, I keep my windows open, only slightly when I'm gone, and full open when I'm there so that it recycles the air. The one next to my front speaker was opened about 2-3 inches and even though there are closed blinds covering it up, rain managed to get in as when I came home (Several hours after the sudden heavy rainfall) there was a little water on top of my speaker.

I wiped it immediately, now I don't know if the little water that was left was all that reached inside (nothing else was wet when I came home) or what's left as maybe more was there and it either dried or (Hope not) got inside the speaker. I fired up WinAmp, played the beginning of an MP3 at a low volume as it's past midnight, and it seems to work fine. Tomorrow I will play test tones to all my speakers to make sure it still matched the other.

Is there a way I could tell if any damage was done to my speaker? And if yes, is it covered under warranty?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No it wouldn't be covered under warranty. I would leave it, let it dry out over night, and see how it does in the morning. If the cabinet has not swelled from being extremely wet, it is unlikely that there was any damage. As long as water did not enter the port, it should be OK.

3. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Allright, so I'm fine then. There is no way water could get in the port hole from the window, the way the speaker is placed prevents that.