What's new

Can Quicktime be a Trojan? (1 Viewer)

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
I downloaded the new quicktime 7 from the apple website the other day and straight away, after installing it, my antivirus software tells me a file in the quicktime directory is a virus.

Whenever I load a trailer, or any mov file I get this warning that there is a trojan. Its really annoying. The apple website should be safe shouldn't it?

The file in question is something called Quicktimewebhelper.qtx and I'm using Nortons antivirus 2005.

Is there anyting I can do?

Thanks.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
yes, it should. if you got the file DIRECTLY from the website, i'd say you're safe. probably norton's fault, incorrectly identifying the "trojan". update the virus definitions and do a full scan. it is possible you have a trojan on your machine, but it didn't come from apple. if it did, you'd hear all sorts of anti-apple nuts going ape about it :)

CJ

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Most likely you're seeing a so-called "false positive", i.e. your Norton claims something is malicious when in fact it isn't.

(Of course, this only applies if the file really is directly from Apple. If there really was a problem, there would have been a huge outcry that we all would have heard by now.)

-Christian

(Edited for spelling)

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the replies.

I figured it was just nortons acting dumb. I definately did get it from apples website, so I did trust the source.

I just wish I could make nortons stop warning me all the time.

NickT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
That's just about guaranteed to be a false positive. I have that file too. It's located in C:WINDOWSsystem32QuickTime folder and is 401KB It deals with the various file extensions that Quicktime works with, .mov, .avi, etc. You can upload the file to Jotti scan to get a second opinion.

I've never used Norton on my computers, so I don't know if there is a way to ignore it. I would email or call Symantic and let them know that you got a false positive. Then they can update the virus defs to stop the alerts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks