What's new
World Wide Stereo

Can overheat ruin a DVD or CD? (1 Viewer)

newbie2008

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Recently I have experienced DVD-rom player malfunction. It overheats just after 30 minutes of use and I wonder if the overheat can ruin a DVD or CD. I would say that the temperature sometimes gets to 100F or so. The same thing happens to my DVD player but after 2-3 hours of use. I have read in a couple of preservation sites that DVD's or CD's should be stored at no more than 69F with a humidity level of 40%, and that drastic temperature/humidity changes can shorten the life of the medium. I have not been able to find the answer to what is the actual damage caused by the temperature change. Does the medium lose any data? Does any of the disc layers get damaged? I would appreciate if someone can try to answer my question. Thanks.

Empirefan70

Agent
Real Name
Empire
I wouldn’t like to chance that if, warped discs is your fancy! I have SONY DVP-S336 D that gets fairly warm or hot underneath the player this, is located to where (heat-sink) the transport try when retracting the disc is warm and the disc warm as well and it doesn’t seem normal.

In your case I’d say it’s reached point within its technical tolerance level to stop playing and should be changed. As for the SONY that’s packed away and it still works but I have two other DVD players that I use, along with two laserdisc players as well.

newbie2008

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for your input.
I have had my current computer w/DVD-rom for about 9 months and only used it to rip CD's and play DVD's sometimes. Hopefully it might still have some manufacturer's warranty. I am very careful with my collection items, the ones I do not care much about I still play in the hot players and they play fine afterwards. But I always wonder if someone has ever tested this kind of situation and came out with facts, just like the fact that vinyl records wear out with every play as well as vhs cassettes because there is a mechanism in constant contact with the medium as it plays.

pankarty

Grip
Real Name
pankarty
thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksth anksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthan ksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksth anksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthan ksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksth anksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthan ksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksth anksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthan ksthanksthanksthanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliewonka
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale