What's new

Can one rust-proof screws? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My set of Bike lights (Marwi Kamikazes) have three little set screws that connects the lights to the handlebar mount.

Because I still bike to work in the winter and in the rain, the three screws are starting to rust (road salt, water,
bad for metal) and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prolong them? I've contacted the mfgr for warentee since these are about 1 year old.

I have some automobile clear coat paint that I was wondering might be used on the head of the screw or perhaps
some basic "Rustoleum" primer kind of paint..

Jay

KyleS

Screenwriter
Not easily or cheaply. Your best bet would be to buy some rust proof screws and replace the old ones.

KyleS

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Just go to Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace Hardware, and buy yourself some stainless steel screws in the same size, and replace them. Ace will likely have the best selection.

Todd

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I was thinking of that, Zinc is supposedly rustproof but I wonder about finding the right size. These are fairly small with a real fine pitch.. Would Lowes or a HD (the only ones left :frowning: ) have one of those screw pitch measuring thingys so I don't have to spend 1/2 hour fishing through the screws?
These screws are tiny, perhaps 1 to 1.5mm in width and not something one would build a house with.
Jay

DaveMcS

Second Unit
"zinc" screws are typically only zinc-plated. In you application the plating is easily worn off exposing the screw heads to the elements and your own sweat. I would second the comment to seek out stainless steel versions of those screws..and you'll have nothing to worry about after that

Denward

Supporting Actor
I don't know if appearance is important, but it seems like a little silicone caulk would do the trick. I think you would be able to peel off the caulk if you needed to remove the lights.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Take the bike inside, and let it warm up, take off the lights and makesure the screws and holes are dry.

When everything is room temp put everything back on, and then add enough clear nailpolish to cover the screw and the opening.

May sound funky, but it won't let water in.

Brent
Use nail polish remover to take it off.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
Be sure to put some anti sieze compound on the new stainless screws before you put them in the holes so you won't have any electrolosis issues.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Are galvanized steel as good as stainless steel? Are they both rustproof? I think the galvanized is supposed to prevent oxygen from allowing rust much like stainless steel, except the galvanized steel is cheaper...

I was offered some galvanized steel screws from the mfgr so I said OK.

I went to Home Depot and all they had were little SS set screws which are small enough but do not have a "head" on them and seemed much like a tiny threaded rod.

Jay

Denward

Supporting Actor
Galvanized steel is just regular steel with a zinc coating. The zinc will wear off and the screw will rust. Your application seems pretty rough on the zinc, but I don't know how durable it would be.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I was going to get the new screws and basically follow what the replies here, the WD40, the nail polish (or perhaps wax) ideas. The screws are on the underside of the handlebar mount so I guess they must get hit by a lot of road wash from the front wheel.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks